Rothstein on Campus for Practice

Rothstein:

“Early prediction on St. John's 2024-25 starting five:
Deivon Smith, Kadary Richmond, RJ Luis, Aaron Scott, Zuby Ejiofor”

“St. John's needs 12 and 12 combined at center from Zuby Ejiofor, Vince Iwuchukwu, and Rubin Prey. Ejiofo --- who was backed up Joel Soriano --- last season is also a breakout candidate.”

“Would expect Aaron Scott and RJ Luis to play the bulk of the minutes for St. John's at PF.
Small Ball is coming to Queens.”

Rothstein:

“Early prediction on St. John's 2024-25 starting five:
Deivon Smith, Kadary Richmond, RJ Luis, Aaron Scott, Zuby Ejiofor”

“St. John's needs 12 and 12 combined at center from Zuby Ejiofor, Vince Iwuchukwu, and Rubin Prey. Ejiofo --- who was backed up Joel Soriano --- last season is also a breakout candidate.”

“Would expect Aaron Scott and RJ Luis to play the bulk of the minutes for St. John's at PF.
Small Ball is coming to Queens.”
I think that 12 and 12 is a low bar. Not that he’s necessarily wrong that that’s all we would need, but by minutes alone I think we get more than that.

For reference, in their back up roles last year, zuby and Vince alone combined for 10 & 7. That was in 27 minutes.

I think that 12 and 12 is a low bar. Not that he’s necessarily wrong that that’s all we would need, but by minutes alone I think we get more than that.

For reference, in their back up roles last year, zuby and Vince alone combined for 10 & 7. That was in 27 minutes.
We will definitely play different than we did with Soriano though. We won’t have to slow jt down as much and even though we have some you guys, they are taller and much more difficult defensively than Joel was out there. What they might not produce in overall buckets, they will make up for in athleticism and defense. Having two 7’2” guys with real shot blocking ability makes things a lot more precarious for other teams. These guys are also
Gazelles out there in the transition game.

We will definitely play different than we did with Soriano though. We won’t have to slow jt down as much and even though we have some you guys, they are taller and much more difficult defensively than Joel was out there. What they might not produce in overall buckets, they will make up for in athleticism and defense. Having two 7’2” guys with real shot blocking ability makes things a lot more precarious for other teams. These guys are also
Gazelles out there in the transition game.

Hey I’m as excited as can be. But don’t need to over exaggerate anything for that to be the case. We have two 7’1 guys. One is a freshmen the other has a lot to prove. You say they bring real shot blocking ability now but Joel had a higher block rate than Vince for what it’s worth.

When it’s all said and done, like I said I think we’ll get more than 12 & 12 from the 5 spot and what we have will be good enough to compete for top 25 and tourney noise. But do we really believe if we had Joel coming back fans wouldn’t be talking him up again as a huge piece of our front court? Saying even on his bad days he’s good for 10 and 10. Instead it’s addition by subtraction.

Back