RIP Pete Carril

My buddy from growing up in BKLYN starred at Regis High School in the 70's and played freshmen ball at Princeton. He got to know Coach Carril and said he was legendary as a coach, a character and a terrific teacher. Compared him to our own Looie and DePaul's Ray Meyer.

Boy, I wish they beat Georgetown that day!

R.I.P. Pete Carril. (an icon that was not tarnished like his contemporary JoePa.)

I remember him going from Princeton to the NBA and thought: this is not going to work.

A few years later one of his disciples - Byron Scott - has the Nets in the NBA championships running backdoor after backdoor after backdoor.

I remember one season when the Johnnies ventured to Princeton to play the Tigers. Damn that Princeton offense….. pas, cut, pass, cut, pass, cut … BACKDOOR score. And our players just shaking their heads. Pete was a master when he was outmanned. Learned allot from him at several coaches clinics in Atlantic City. RIP coach.

Carrill used to show up at Jack Curran’s Camp back in the day. He was a guest speaker. Afterwards he would play in a “pickup” game with some of the campers. He was short with a cigar hanging out of his mouth. Hysterical. Its how I pictured hoops in say the 1920’s!

RIP Coach.

Back