RIP John Madden

Paultzman post=448499 said:
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1475984214059360263?s=21
I was a Raider fan growing up. This one hurts. Great on the sidelines, and equally great in the booth. RIP 

Super Bowl winning coach 
high profile broadcaster
Lite Beer commercial star
Name’s on one of the most popular video game franchises, probably the most famous sports video game franchise
first to hand out turkey legs after the Thanksgiving day NFL game

RIP

Spocky Ramone post=448502 said:
Super Bowl winning coach 
high profile broadcaster
Lite Beer commercial star
Name’s on one of the most popular video game franchises, probably the most famous sports video game franchise
first to hand out turkey legs after the Thanksgiving day NFL game

RIP

Introduced the world to Turducken

Actually met him at an SJU game at Alumni Hall in the mid-90s.  TV did not make that head look bigger than it was.  It was the real deal. (FTR, I meant a big head in the physical sense, not talking about his ego).

I love football and John Madden always made it more fun. RIP, Mr. Madden. You will be sorely missed.

I was young when Madden coached and have just a faint recollection of his Super Bowl win in 1976 which I am sure I watched with my older brother. I always thought of him as a football genius and wish he coached longer. He was a great personality who spanned so many generations through his broadcasting and probably most importantly his video game. RIP.

With his charting of plays, he made football that much more understandable to those of us who never played the game.   

As city kids, many of the kids who played HS football had never played the game at all before HS.   My school always had very strong teams and the varsity coach would take just about any freshman who tried out, and put them in the weight room for 2 years. 

Great personality on air, which made watching the games he called immensely enjoyable.

He made watching the NFL fun and informative.  He’ll be missed.

Back