Feb 8 Cincinnati 7:00 PM
Feb 12 @Georgetown 1:00 PM
Feb 14 @Seton Hall 7:00 PM
Feb 18 UCLA 1:00 PM
Feb 20 DePaul 9:00 PM
Feb 25 Notre Dame 12:00 PM
Feb 29 @Pittsburgh 7:00 PM
Mar 3 @Rutgers 8:00 PM

My preseason prediction was 11 wins, which would mean 2-8 in the last 10 games.

I think we probably lose all 5 road games, lose to Cuse and Cincy, and beat UCLA and DePaul at home. That makes ND the swing game.

So I think we likely win 2 or 3 more. It's possible we find a fourth someplace (home for Cincy or at DePaul, maybe).

A magical end of season run is not impossible, but as my main man Main Man says, you just can't predict that.

Look by no means am I unrealistic in thinking all of a sudden we turned a corner because we strung two good games in a row (albeit only 1-1 record).

But those road games are hardly impossible. Going into the year you would think Pitt would be guaranteed loss. Yes they appear to be off the schneid of late. Gtown is ranked but we've had their number before, even down there. The harder games are at home I think which I like.

Four wins. No chance at Depaul this week. Too much good press from Saturday's loss having the players think they are better than they are.

BUMP

Anyone want to revisit their predictions? Here's what's left now:

I'm still seeing 2 or 3 possible wins if the team competes, and they are still competing for 40 minutes a game despite being short and shorthanded.

Honestly in all of the commotion surrounding the last few games I think some of our posters have lost perspective. It's the classic fan-base too high / too low syndrome.

I predicted 11 wins this season, and that was without Garrett, Pelle, and Sampson (I incorrectly predicted that none of the 3 would ever play for StJ) and with Lindsey and Stith. At least one other knowledgeable poster predicted 12. So with an even shorter roster than we started with, we are now sitting on 10 wins with half a dozen games to go. If the team wins 2 or 3 games more, that is a huge accomplishment starting 5 freshmen and using a 6-man rotation. If you expected 20 wins this year, or got your hopes up after Duke took us for granted and let us sort-of back in the game late, that's on you.

Do we need to add 3 more players next year? Sure. We need a PG (on the way), a C, and another shooter. You think Lavin doesn't know that? Let's say your starting 5 next year is Branch and Harrison in the backcourt, Harkless, Garrett or Pointer, and a 6'10" shotblocker up front. You bring Phil, Gift, Garrett or Pointer, and another shooter off the bench. Now you can attack on defense and run the floor on offense for 40 minutes without having to worry about wearing down your players, and you have the size to deal better with teams like Cuse. You don't think that is a potential top-20 team given the experience gained this year?

BUMP

Anyone want to revisit their predictions? Here's what's left now:

I'm still seeing 2 or 3 possible wins if the team competes, and they are still competing for 40 minutes a game despite being short and shorthanded.

Honestly in all of the commotion surrounding the last few games I think some of our posters have lost perspective. It's the classic fan-base too high / too low syndrome.

I predicted 11 wins this season, and that was without Garrett, Pelle, and Sampson (I incorrectly predicted that none of the 3 would ever play for StJ) and with Lindsey and Stith. At least one other knowledgeable poster predicted 12. So with an even shorter roster than we started with, we are now sitting on 10 wins with half a dozen games to go. If the team wins 2 or 3 games more, that is a huge accomplishment starting 5 freshmen and using a 6-man rotation. If you expected 20 wins this year, or got your hopes up after Duke took us for granted and let us sort-of back in the game late, that's on you.

Do we need to add 3 more players next year? Sure. We need a PG (on the way), a C, and another shooter. You think Lavin doesn't know that? Let's say your starting 5 next year is Branch and Harrison in the backcourt, Harkless, Garrett or Pointer, and a 6'10" shotblocker up front. You bring Phil, Gift, Garrett or Pointer, and another shooter off the bench. Now you can attack on defense and run the floor on offense for 40 minutes without having to worry about wearing down your players, and you have the size to deal better with teams like Cuse. You don't think that is a potential top-20 team given the experience gained this year?

Running through similar scenario for next year and arrived at similar conclusion but added an additional 4/5 or scoring 4 to play it safe. We need people who can move defenders out of Harkless' way or score inside when he is
double-teamed. 

Back