Post - As Harrison shines, bro faces murder charge

Della9250

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/as_st_john_freshman_shines_brother_fv1empGT2VlqwvdclNtewJ

What a very sad story.
Makes Dlo all that more impressive in my mind when you read about all that he has accomplished to date.
The odds have been against this kid from day 1, lets hope and pray for Dlo and his brother that all of their dreams come true.

What a very sad story.
Makes Dlo all that more impressive in my mind when you read about all that he has accomplished to date.
The odds have been against this kid from day 1, lets hope and pray for Dlo and his brother that all of their dreams come true.

I have mixed emotions when I read stories like this. In a lot of ways, I don't think it's appropriate to have a kid's personal life exposed in the tabloids for all to see. Who of us would want the worst events in out own families splashed across Newsday or the Post?

So many of these kids come from a world of drugs, guns, crime, and too much death. Whether a chance to make some money from a drug sale, settle an old score, or whatever the circumstance, Harrison's brother was at best part of a group that shot a kid to death. Whether an isolated "wrong place at the wrong time", or something indicative of a lifestyle that DeAndre Harrison lived, way too many of our athletes know stories like this all too well.

More than simply providing a shot at a high paying NBA career that few achieve, my hope is that the education they are receiving at SJU is a fulcrum for an opportunity to break away from the environments that have destroyed far too many lives. To me, at least, the attainment of a life away from crime laden streets is more relaistic than the NBA, and should be part of the broad goals that Coach Lavin has for these kids.

D'Angelo has a nice basketball career ahead of him, but I really think he has the voice and personality to get into sports broadcasting some day. Colorful character with great voice and charisma. He has plenty of basketball ahead of him though.

If he wasnt the shooter he could have a chance to beat the acting in concert theory especially with 7 people- how do they know who was involved, whether they knew the other guy even had a gun etc etc

Helps to understand his attitude with refs. There are refs who overlook player complaints and others who have to show a complainer who is the boss
It would be wise if he were not to gamble on the kind of ref and try to hide his reactions

Harrison isn't getting techs left and right. He's learned to focus and he's grown as a player by leaps and bounds.

He does complain an awful lot to refs, you can watch it game after game. I want him to keep that enthusiasm and I think when he becomes more of an established player, he will get some more calls. He is just a frosh right now to the refs

If Harrison's complaining to the refs to the point that it is visible to fans, then he is showing them up and it won't bode well for him in temrs of getting a call. I always told kids I coached never to show up a ref, never gesticulate with arms or hands, and if you had something to say, say it quietly and respectfully and if possible, with a smile on your face. Refs are much more likely to listen if you ask them to "watch the push off", or whatever you have to say, if only they can hear it and if it is said without facial expressions or gestures.

I would have to guess he's ganing control of this since he hasn't gotten techs here, but I'm sure in HS, he got a rep for mouthing off, and the refs didn't tolerate it. 

Back