Pelle Eligibility

walkon

B) Has anyone heard if Pelle has successfully finished his academic requirements? Any sighting on campus?
Very important question for our 2011 prospects.  

B) Has anyone heard if Pelle has successfully finished his academic requirements? Any sighting on campus?
Very important question for our 2011 prospects. 

Was told he will be on campus when School starts.

I think that is great news, because people all spring and summer kind of made statements about our ability to bring all of the commited kids into school. The staff is to be commended for staying on top of this and bringing in the whole class. It also says a lot about the kids.......some of them had work to do before they met eligibilty.... 

This kid really excites me: a lean, athletic left-handed shot blocker who wears #6. All that's missing is the goatee ... and the multiple championships, and hopefully they (the titles, not necessarily the goatee) will come. 

...The staff is to be commended for staying on top of this and bringing in the whole class. It also says a lot about the kids.......some of them had work to do before they met eligibilty.... 

This staff takes care of business in every aspect of the operation.

Guys, we have to be honest here...

There was, with out a question, a definite reason we had kids attending class at RISE this Summer. The school had/has major concerns about some of these young men getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse at this point. Hopefully the situations have been resolved already.

They are not going to let any of theses kids attend a single class at SJU until they are cleared because if they let them start and then don't get cleared they are lost for the season and lost to St. John's forever.

It's a sad reality that a lot of schools are dealing with every year now. Lots and lots of these kids just don't handle their academic business in high school because they are more worried about "showcasing" themselves for college coaches. Almost every program deals with this situation every Fall now.

The sad part if that meeting the core requirements for the NCAA is really not that difficult for highh shool student atheltes.

There was, with out a question, a definite reason we had kids attending class at RISE this Summer. The school had/has major concerns about some of these young men getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse at this point. Hopefully the situations have been resolved already.

They are not going to let any of theses kids attend a single class at SJU until they are cleared because if they let them start and then don't get cleared they are lost for the season and lost to St. John's forever.

It's a sad reality that a lot of schools are dealing with every year now. Lots and lots of these kids just don't handle their academic business in high school because they are more worried about "showcasing" themselves for college coaches. Almost every program deals with this situation every Fall now.

The sad part if that meeting the core requirements for the NCAA is really not that difficult for highh shool student atheltes.

No doubt it is an issue. I do think our staff was/is on top of it. It is quite a feat to land a class with 9 guys in it, several with academic issues, and have them all ready for class in the fall. Certainly it is not the optimal situation, but the staff is given 13 scholarships and told to win games. We had a LOT of ships to fill and Lavin wanted to do it with top players. If we had only a few ships, we might have not had to take so many chances. I think the staff chose kids though, who's issues academically were not insurmountable. I know the staff expects everybody qualified and hopefully that will be the case. We'll find out real soon. Hopefully somebody will provide an update as soon as we hear.

No doubt it is an issue. I do think our staff was/is on top of it. It is quite a feat to land a class with 9 guys in it, several with academic issues, and have them all ready for class in the fall. Certainly it is not the optimal situation, but the staff is given 13 scholarships and told to win games. We had a LOT of ships to fill and Lavin wanted to do it with top players. If we had only a few ships, we might have not had to take so many chances. I think the staff chose kids though, who's issues academically were not insurmountable. I know the staff expects everybody qualified and hopefully that will be the case. We'll find out real soon. Hopefully somebody will provide an update as soon as we hear.

Completely agree with what you are saying but I just think that if thesse kids were all currently eligible, the staff and SID's office might have gotten the weord out to the media.

Pelle is far and away the most important of these kids in my opinion. He is going to play major minutes this year, probably more than any other Freshman.

Completely agree with what you are saying but I just think that if thesse kids were all currently eligible, the staff and SID's office might have gotten the weord out to the media.

Pelle is far and away the most important of these kids in my opinion. He is going to play major minutes this year, probably more than any other Freshman.

Don't forget, they finished classes at Rise not much longer than a week ago. They are having everything reviewed now. They probably aren't officially cleared yet. Just looking at the situations and other athletes with the same backgrounds I'm not all that worried. Pelle went to a regular hs in California, not a bball factory. As long as his RISE class is cleared, I don't see him having an issue. Same goes for Jakarr who went to a reputable prep school in Brewster. Garrett went Findlay, and they have an approved curriculum and their other athletes at other schools are qualifying. I think our athletes are I. Good shape as long as everything is cleared with their Rise Academy classes. We should hear real soon as NCAA only could review that stuff starting last week.

The only guy I really know nothing about the situation is Nuri. Don't know much at all about where he's at, except that he seems confident he'll be playing this year. All the others including Harkless, Pointer, God's gift, Harrison and Greene are on campus and ready to go.

As far as Pelle being most important, that is arguable. I think Pelle is excellent and has the highest upside, but also has the most work to do in terms of solidifying his game. He needs more coaching than most of our kids and needs to buy in. I don't think he'll play the most minutes. I think he'll split with GodsGift at center and we'll run "small" lineups quite a bit. Norvel will be brought along at his own pace and I think might struggle a little bit along the way at times as he learns how to really be a college center.

I think our most important recruits will be Nuri, Harrison and Greene. This season and beyond, we will be as ready as our guards are. The guards are the gateway to success as evidenced by just about all the top teams. If Nuri is qualified and legit, we can be real good even this year.

On a side note, I hear WVU's Jabari Hinds looks unlikely to be eligible. Would be terrible for them. 

Stop with the doom and gloom. SJU is good but they are not Duke. They don't get to hand pick top 25 kids who also have perfect SAT scores. And they just finished classes. The NCAA needs to review before they get cleared. It does not happen overnight.

Furthermore when you have a 9 man class that was put together in a few months by a new staff you cannot expect everyone to be a perfect student. Especially when you consider how large the class is and how Lavin targeted high level talent in such a short period of time. SHU has one kid Johnson who is a longshot to qualify and another who never did sign his NLI because he wasn't going to qualify, Isaiah Hill. That is in one class and the class was not very good.

Markus Kennedy at Villanova had to take classes to qualify and never enrolled at VU for summer class. Louisville's top recruit never made it last year, Coleman, failed to qualify.

We know about Shaq Thomas at Cincy this year, although they expect him to eventually clear.

And none of those schools have 9 man classes.

Once again, not that it is gospel, but Zags also recently reported that all SJU recruits are expected to gain eligibility. I think odds are we will be okay.

I thought I read that the athletic dept. expected all 9 to be ready when classes start.  

You mean aside from the fact its against the law to release specific academic info on a kid? Perhaps they could have leaked it to the media in some general, non-specific manner. Say, someone like Zags? http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/16/st-johns-expecting-all-newcomers-to-be-eligible/ 

Back