Paul Massell Funeral Details

If you can please pause and pray for Paul at 11 a.m. est, 10 a.m. central when mass begins in Tulsa.

Paul was an intensely faithful man, who kept his faith mostly private on here. After St. John's he went to graduate school at Franciscan University which can best be described as a school devoted to Catholic education in the purest sense.

When it came time for my youngest to attend college, Paul called me and urged me to consider a couple of schools in that category, and not the schools we were applying to. He offered to have one his kids host mine on a visit to st.john Paul II college. We didn't go that way but I am most endeared to Paul for his concern.

My last voice conversation with him was his support over a family situation we were dealing with. He shared his own problem and offered advice and counsel.

To me, this board is by far secondary to the Paul I knew. Caring, brilliant, authentically devout, principled. When fire devastated his town of Santa Rosa. When redmen.com offered to help him, he told us there were people in far greater need and to donate to Catholic Charities of Santa Rosa.

Much more to say, but that's for later.

Today I will focus my prayers to prayers of joy for the choirs of angels welcoming Paul in God's eternal kingdom.

At the Transfiguration , we heard God's voice proclaiming Jesus with "This is my Son, eith who I am well pleased". I'd not be surprised if Paul heard the same upon his arrival in heaven.

Well done, my friend Paul. Please pray for us.

Beast,

Thanks for the reminder and for sharing a little more info about Paul. I had similar conversations with him over the years and agree with you 110%.

Incline Thine ear, O Lord, unto our prayers, wherein we humbly pray Thee to show Thy mercy upon the soul of Thy servant Paul, whom Thou hast commanded to pass out of this world, that Thou wouldst place him in the region of peace and light, and bid him be a partaker with Thy Saints. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Beast,

Thanks for the reminder and for sharing a little more info about Paul. I had similar conversations with him over the years and agree with you 110%.

Incline Thine ear, O Lord, unto our prayers, wherein we humbly pray Thee to show Thy mercy upon the soul of Thy servant Paul, whom Thou hast commanded to pass out of this world, that Thou wouldst place him in the region of peace and light, and bid him be a partaker with Thy Saints. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Thanks for this. I will be saying this prayer during the time of the funeral Mass.

I hope we all take a moment at this very time, when Paul’s funeral has just commenced, to reflect on this wonderful giving individual.

May his family not know of any further suffering and may his good deeds never be forgotten.

I will always cherish our friendship and remember my dear friend Paul Massell who was taken from us far too early.

Ben Franklin once wrote, “some people die at 25 and aren’t buried until they are 75.”
I only “talked” to Paul via e-mail a couple of times, with multiple back and forths when I reached out to see if I could get my posting privileges reinstated. Most of those revolved around the issues that led to my requesting to have them removed, if the truth be told, a half step before they were revoked by a mod just doing his job.
Anyway, Paul was exactly as described by other posters on this thread who knew him for real and as his son proved via his classy and moving post of his own and it is obvious Paul LIVED every moment of his 56 years.
The world lost a really, really good one and heaven became a became a much better place.
So Paul, as Charles Grodin said to Robert DeNiro at the end of Midnight Run, here’s hoping I “see you in the next life”! RIP……

Back