Other school fan reactions

mjmaherjr

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
 I'm real curious what the fan reactions have been at Cuse and Uconn and other big east schools about this ACC defection. Only other board I started to read was seton hall but that was for the Kyle to UCLA implosion

My Cuse clients and friends are Irate. They are disgusted by it. My Uconn friends don't want to go to the ACC either.

Luckily I don't have any rutgers friends so I can't ask them and I don't know any people from Pitt.

At my gym there are some ACC guys and they are ecstatic. They were driving me crazy with this talk of an ACC tourney at MSG. UGHHHHH

Just curious what everyone else has encountered

I posted on another thread earlier that I have spoken to friends of mine that are SU alums and they are furious over this and one went as far as saying that she will not contribute a dime to SU athletics once they go to the ACC. Lucky for me I have no friends that went to Pitt & UConn ; ) 

Down here in my part of ACC country its cutting both ways, but a very negative overtone for football. We may have mediocre football now, but at least we have the fun of playing long time rivals.  

Rutgers fans are irate.
They see themselves as a football school first and are sick and tiered of the "Catholic" schools ruining it for everyone else.
They've tried to turn the argument into "religious" agenda.

Rutgers fans are irate.
They see themselves as a football school first and are sick and tiered of the "Catholic" schools ruining it for everyone else.

I've always thought Rutgers fans were Godless Heathens

1. If rutgers believes that the "Catholic schools" have held it back then it should join the ACC or Big Ten; whoops, rutgers has sought membership from those conferences and it has been rejected. If you want a laugh take a moment to look up on ESPN the out of conference games which Coach Schiano has scheduled for rutgers over the past 7 seasons and you will see that he plays a pathetic schedule.

2. No one should be surprised that Syracuse has jumped at the opportunity to join the ACC. Recall that in 2003 Syracuse accepted an informal invitation to the ACC until that third invite was highjacked by VaTeck when the Virginia Governor insisted that UVA not provide the necessary vote unless VaTeck was included.

3. Before the recent shakeup west virginia's opinionated Athletic Director Ollie Luck made a number of boisterous statements. I have not seen any quotes from Ollie since it appears that west virginia is irrelevant to the SEC, ACC and Big Ten.

4. In my opinion the best interests of our beloved St.John's and other Big East basketball onlys are best served by kicking the can down the road by keeping the Big East hybrid model together.

5. The Big East should (i) line up schools as football replacements, (ii) set a deadline for yukon, rutgers and west virginia to commit to the Big East or get out, (iii) require each committed school to agree to a steep exit fee, and (v) retain the best media consultant to market the conference for new media contract, (vi) bring in a new management team and move the leagues offices to New York City. 

Rutgers fans are irate.

You have been spectacular lately.

Hope I am, not breaking site ruls here but the BIG EAST SPORTS TALK section on Big East Boards always has good debate/conversation on the overall league. There a few very knowledgable posters in there from various schools and a few UConn guys who are very well connected.

Take a look...

http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=652a38856ced41223e00451162da71bd

Apologies ahead of time if this is a violation.

Interesting stuff PMG911! I find some of your posters hilarious when they inject their schools academic profiles into the argument! NONE of what has been going on has ANYTHING to do with academics----ZERO! The presidents of PITT, Syracuse and UCONN have revealed themselves to be money-hungry scum-sucking pigs. The only thing that de-stabilized the current Big East----just as TCU was entering- was PITT and Syracuse exiting via a back-room deal with the ACC. With TCU, the Big East, even with the BB-only schools would have been stronger than the ACC in both football AND basketball! Everyone with a half-a-brain knows this! Uconn football delusions are as laughable as Villanova's!!

4. In my opinion the best interests of our beloved St.John's and other Big East basketball onlys are best served by kicking the can down the road by keeping the Big East hybrid model together.

So you want to continue to align with football schools?

Rutgers fans are irate.

Surprising post, I live in Jersey, have 6 close relatives (brother, nieces and nephews) who are Rutgers grads; work with 3 Rutgers grads, one who has close ties to the football program, have an in-law that does work regularly with Coach Schiano's father and I have not heard a word from them or any other person even remotely mentioning anything to do with religion.

What the BBall-only schools need to do is quickly develop a plan for if/when the WVU, RU and UConn move(s) happen. Even tho everyone held hands and sang "Kum-by-ya" last night, and even tho WVU was rejected elsewhere, they intentions are obvious. And I don't think Navy, Air Force, East Carolina cut it. Give me Xavier, Temple, St. Joe's, Memphis. Then we're talking.

So you want to continue to align with football schools?

Rutgers fans are irate.

Surprising post, I live in Jersey, have 6 close relatives (brother, nieces and nephews) who are Rutgers grads; work with 3 Rutgers grads, one who has close ties to the football program, have an in-law that does work regularly with Coach Schiano's father and I have not heard a word from them or any other person even remotely mentioning anything to do with religion.

I'm referring to their rivals board.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?highlight=catholic&sid=988&fid=642&tid=147623508&mid=147625140

Yes I do believe that the basketball onlys will have greater opportunity being televised on ESPN or like cable network during prime time if included with a package that includes football.

The ACC, SEC and Big Ten will uses football to leverage the best game times and I fear that a basketball only league will be squeezed off of prime time.

In addition as much as you may not like west virginia, rutgers, Cincinnati, Memphis, and other football schools those football schools would add saleability to a media package that includes St.John's and other basketball onlys.

Finally a salvaged hybrid with a BCS bid that continues tie in games for Notre Dame may allow Notre Dame to stay "Independent" in football and stay with the Big East which also adds to the saleability of the media package which St.John's is included. 

BTW, I'm not advocating this for the BE Tournamentast, and I don't think the ACC would go for it, but can you imagine the benefits for NYC if the two tournaments were held at MSG and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn? The Barclays would jump at either conference having its tnmt there. Of course, it will always be 2nd fiddle to MSG. Again, not advocating at all....just thinking of the economic glow for NYC  

Yes I do believe that the basketball onlys will have greater opportunity being televised on ESPN or like cable network during prime time if included with a package that includes football.

The ACC, SEC and Big Ten will uses football to leverage the best game times and I fear that a basketball only league will be squeezed off of prime time.

In addition as much as you may not like west virginia, rutgers, Cincinnati, Memphis, and other football schools those football schools would add saleability to a media package that includes St.John's and other basketball onlys.

Finally a salvaged hybrid with a BCS bid that continues tie in games for Notre Dame may allow Notre Dame to stay "Independent" in football and stay with the Big East which also adds to the saleability of the media package which St.John's is included. 

Gotta disagree. On two fronts. First we will still have major markets accounted for- NY, PHI, DC, BOS, CHI, etc....

Secondly most of these conferences are working towards their own networks. B10 already has one. Pac12 has it in the works. ACC years ago was first to mention one and now more then ever they have leverage. And SEC has discussed. This will squeeze ESPN who would want their own platform and aligning themselves with a super bball only conference with big markets will be big for them.

BTW, I'm not advocating this for the BE Tournamentast, and I don't think the ACC would go for it, but can you imagine the benefits for NYC if the two tournaments were held at MSG and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn? The Barclays would jump at either conference having its tnmt there. Of course, it will always be 2nd fiddle to MSG. Again, not advocating at all....just thinking of the economic glow for NYC  

Other than Syracuse and Pitt very few of the ACC schools seem to be in love with coming to a non-ACC city for their tournament-----I do not care how many alums they have here. Syracuse and UConn were able to capitalize on NYC because of the Big East and its storied tourney that included no less than SEVEN schools within a 4 hour bus drive or 2 hour train ride into Manhattan. Call me when they schedule Boston for their tourney! That is a Big East town----or is it? LMAO!

Gotta disagree. On two fronts. First we will still have major markets accounted for- NY, PHI, DC, BOS, CHI, etc....

Secondly most of these conferences are working towards their own networks. B10 already has one. Pac12 has it in the works. ACC years ago was first to mention one and now more then ever they have leverage. And SEC has discussed. This will squeeze ESPN who would want their own platform and aligning themselves with a super bball only conference with big markets will be big for them.

Moose, everything you say makes sense but the hybrid model for the Big East was not the problem. They were (and are for the next two years anyway) the top basketball conference in America. Their football was no worse than the ACC (rated 5 and 6). TCU was coming in making it a highly viable football league UNTIL Syracuse and Pitt made their back-door deal with the ACC. The Pitt president led the other BE schools to think they could negotiate a better deal than with ESPN. The agenda was taking care of themselves and they, in effect, caused great financial hardship on the remaining members. This was a case of greed and manipulation to almost Bernie Madoff proportions! I am surprised lawsuits have not begun to fly here!!

Rutgers fans are irate.

You have been spectacular lately.
  Much thanks. Trying to keep it light with all this news the past week

Back