OT: NEC Championship

Bootsy40

Did anyone catch the skirmish between Wagner and Bryant Fans? Bryant was up 68-32 with about 4:20. Game was halted for 30 minutes.

Bootsy post=462117 said:
Did anyone catch the skirmish between Wagner and Bryant Fans? Bryant was up 68-32 with about 4:20. Game was halted for 30 minutes.
Whose bright idea was it to seat the Wagner family traveling party, right in front of the Bryant student section?

Recipe for trouble, IMO.

Here is a video of the skirmish (following a short commercial).

Families are typically always seated behind their team's bench.  

If I had to guess, Bryant fans were celebrating a bit too much, and perhaps taunting Wagner family.   All in all it appeared to not be a fight as much as words and shoving.   

Some idiot kid on the Bryant bench was actually jumping up and down and applauding.  What was that about.

I've been at the Garden for the BET, where drunken students of a team winning big start to taunt fans of the other team.   I never understood why AH fans get off on taunting the opponent when they are winning big.   I was at Wrigley when the Mets clinched the pennant in 2015 and was seated near some AH Met fans in their 30s who almost caused a brawl by doing that once the outcome was no longer in doubt.

The game was in Smithfield RI, at Bryant's home court, which explains the large number of Bryant fans.   

SJU61982 post=462120 said:
Bootsy post=462117 said:
Whose bright idea was it to seat the Wagner family traveling party, right in front of the Bryant student section?

Recipe for trouble, IMO.

Or have the student section on the side of the court with the benches?

I'm actually surprised Wagner came out to finish the game with the fans still seated there.

And it did not seem that the Wagner contingent was completely off the court when the students stormed the court; so much for the Bryant AD assuring Wagner that would be the case.

mm52 post=462156 said:
SJU61982 post=462120 said:
Bootsy post=462117 said:

Recipe for trouble, IMO.

Or have the student section on the side of the court with the benches?

I'm actually surprised Wagner came out to finish the game with the fans still seated there.

And it did not seem that the Wagner contingent was completely off the court when the students stormed the court; so much for the Bryant AD assuring Wagner that would be the case.

I was surprised too they came back out to finish. Wagner should’ve  just packed up and leave. The last 4:20, no one was really playing. Both teams were just looking for the clock to run out quickly as possible. 

The NEC doesn't get much publicity and if Wagner refused to come back out it becomes a much bigger (negative) story. Even though the outcome was over I’m sure the league officials would not have been happy with them if they went home.

I'm sure it didn't help that Bryant's Peter Kiss (former backcourt mate of Mikey Dixon at Quinnipiac) was taunting the crowd almost every time he scored a basket - and he scored a lot of baskets. 

MainMan post=462184 said:
I'm sure it didn't help that Bryant's Peter Kiss (former backcourt mate of Mikey Dixon at Quinnipiac) was taunting the crowd almost every time he scored a basket - and he scored a lot of baskets. 

Was he sticking his tongue out and breathing fire?  I thought he was the cat.

IDRAFT post=462180 said:
The NEC doesn't get much publicity and if Wagner refused to come back out it becomes a much bigger (negative) story. Even though the outcome was over I’m sure the league officials would not have been happy with them if they went home.

I agree that it would be a negative story; however, what if after coming back out of locker room and game resumes, coaches and players on the bench get pelted with water bottles or any other object that can cause harm?

I am glad that it did not happen when the game resumed.

MainMan post=462184 said:

Good point, I did notice that as well. 

I believe we were rumored to have interest in Peter Kiss while we were also recruiting Mikey Dixon.  Obviously a different level of competition, but he was a beast in that game.  

I don't think he will be sticking out his tongue and waving his hands when he is playing Gonzaga or Arizona. That is if Bryant gets out of the play in game.

Back