Oh here we go...

fordham96

The people who pounded the table and want to whine about SJU and who never thought they would land Pitino are now showing their fake outrage over Anderson's lawsuit because they feel "embarrassed." Really?

You guys are going to hang your head in shame? Give me a break. You guys will find anything to whine about.

Ollie was fired for cause and that took 4 years to settle and he got $3.9 million. Not everything but a nice chunk.

And that is a public university who answers to taxpayers so if anyone should be embarrassed it should be them.

They are not. Went on for 4 years and it did not prevent Hurley from building a winner.

Seton Hall fired Bobby Gonzalez with cause, go look it up. They ended up settling on an amount out of court.

Stop pretending you are outraged.

Bottom line is this is a bit of a ploy by SJU to reduce the buyout. Been done 1000 times.

On a different note it is clear that Mike Anderson was just a bad fit. It was a shotgun marriage based on desperation.

Good for both that it ended.

SJU has a well earned reputation for running the basketball program into the ground. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to observe that this latest gaff reflects poorly on the university in the midst of our courting likely the only person who can breathe life into our moribund program.

As a diehard SJU fan for nearly 40 years, I can’t help but admit that I was half expecting some horrible news to drop. Hopefully I’m totally wrong, but wouldn’t shock me if Pitino goes to Providence or stays at Iona.

SJU has a well earned reputation for running the basketball program into the ground. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to observe that this latest gaff reflects poorly on the university in the midst of our courting likely the only person who can breathe life into our moribund program.

As a diehard SJU fan for nearly 40 years, I can’t help but admit that I was half expecting some horrible news to drop. Hopefully I’m totally wrong, but wouldn’t shock me if Pitino goes to Providence or stays at Iona.
Pitino knew about this a week ago. Why would he meet with SJU to discuss the job if he is so disgusted by this since he already knew.

And trust me he knew Cooley had one foot out the door for PC for awhile now...

Weren’t we saying a week ago that the buyout was in place?

Holy sky is falling Batman! Give it a rest already.

I bet there are a number of you who are such yellow bellies that you will be hyperventilating before the Georgetown and Providence games because you are afraid Pitino will leave the SJU bench and take the coaching job at one those schools.

Everyone take a zolpidem (unless you are an elitist like MJMaher who is too good for the generic and takes Ambien instead).

Last edited:
Pitino knew about this a week ago. Why would he meet with SJU to discuss the job if he is so disgusted by this since he already knew.

And trust me he knew Cooley had one foot out the door for PC for awhile now...
You definitely seem to be much more in the know than me. I don’t know what Pitino knew and when. If Pitino was in fact informed in advance, I suppose I would feel slightly better. But the fact that he visited the school does not mean this situation will not be a deterrent.

The people who pounded the table and want to whine about SJU and who never thought they would land Pitino are now showing their fake outrage over Anderson's lawsuit because they feel "embarrassed." Really?

You guys are going to hang your head in shame? Give me a break. You guys will find anything to whine about.

Ollie was fired for cause and that took 4 years to settle and he got $3.9 million. Not everything but a nice chunk.

And that is a public university who answers to taxpayers so if anyone should be embarrassed it should be them.

They are not. Went on for 4 years and it did not prevent Hurley from building a winner.

Seton Hall fired Bobby Gonzalez with cause, go look it up. They ended up settling on an amount out of court.

Stop pretending you are outraged.

Bottom line is this is a bit of a ploy by SJU to reduce the buyout. Been done 1000 times.

On a different note it is clear that Mike Anderson was just a bad fit. It was a shotgun marriage based on desperation.

Good for both that it ended.
What did I miss?

Exactly kudos to those previously posted. Not a shock that this came out today day before we land Rick. Every university tries to do this to save money. It's a money thing instead of 11 he gets 8 probably . Relax sky isn't falling earth still standing fordhman96 couldn't of said it any better and he is a guy who is in the know

Holy sky is falling Batman! Give it a rest already.

I bet there are a number of you who are such yellow bellies that you will be hyperventilating before the Georgetown and Providence games because you are afraid Pitino will leave the SJU bench and take the coaching at one those schools.

Everyone take a zolpidem (unless you are an elitist like MJMaher who is too good for the generic and takes Ambien instead).
Took my ambien with sparking water. That’s what us elitists do

You definitely seem to be much more in the know than me. I don’t know what Pitino knew and when. If Pitino was in fact informed in advance, I suppose I would feel slightly better. But the fact that he visited the school does not mean this situation will not be a deterrent.
You are missing the point why would Pitino care, do you think he is worried about underperforming and then getting fired for cause?

Let's agree that the real reason Mike Anderson was fired was because of performance, same with Kevin Ollie.

But some coaches I think you agree are likely NEVER to be fired for performance. Simply because they are too good. Rick is one of those coaches.

Knowing that why would he or SJU be worried about a similar situation. The only way Rick gets fired for cause is if he does something REALLY BAD or at least is accused of doing something really bad that embarrasses the University. But that would be true if he was hired ANYWHERE.

Do you think Rick or SJU are worried he will have 4 consecutive non-NCAA seasons and SJU will try to fire him with cause when the real reason is he did not win enough games and therefore weasel out of a buyout?

Two things can be true at the same time - this won’t have any affect on Pitino, but still looks petty.
If that’s the final verdict, then I’ll take Tom for 1000$ please, Alex!!

It's a matter of fair play. I would have liked to have seen the school take the high road. No, I'm not "outraged". I'm not surprised either. Many have railed for 20 plus years about the incompetence of the program's leadership. Why should anyone be surprised?
Fair play works both ways. Sure Anderson or any other coach would have taken every penny regardless of performance. This happens everyday in corporate life, why have different expectations here?

It's a matter of fair play. I would have liked to have seen the school take the high road. No, I'm not "outraged". I'm not surprised either. Many have railed for 20 plus years about the incompetence of the program's leadership. Why should anyone be surprised?
To counter what you are saying, Fr. Shanley is the polar opposite of the last two university presidents.

The simple fact he stopped by a practice already shows more understanding of the basketball program and what it means to the school than Fr. Harrington and Gempesaw combined.

If that moment was the impetus for Anderson’s dismissal, then good for us. Fr. Shanley is not joking around. He is treating basketball as a cut throat business, which it is.

All of you who were rightly complaining that the school still runs a mom and pop basketball program, well let’s welcome St. John’s basketball to the 21st century!

And if you are worried about Pitino having second thoughts, get real.

He coached at Kentucky where anything less than consistent final four appearances will get you a ticket out of Lexington.

Am I to take it that SJU has sued to avoid the Anderson buy out (or caused him to sue to collect it)? If so, that IS bush league. The guy was fired because he did not win here. The school should just eat the fact that it signed an ill advised contract extension and pay the man what the contract provides. It isn't like he violated any NCAA rules or did something else to violate any "morals" clause. He was fired for poor performance not for "cause".

Last edited:
The school is going to pay Mike a lot of money. Do I think he was fired for cause, I do the team was dysfunctional and he wasn’t keeping the kids in line. And that’s all I could see from being outside of the daily runnings of the program. This is how business is run when the money is huge. He will settle and get on with his life. Or he will fight for every dollar because he will never get a head coaching job again. I am glad he is gone and it was the Xavier game where I came to the conclusion that a change needed to happen.

Back