Note to Allergy sufferers

jsk68/73

Recently my allergies have been bothering me causing me to sneeze alot....like right now....AAhhhhhhhhCHOKE!!!!
Better luck next year Boston..

A Mets Fan avoiding the allergy season altogether :) 

Recently my allergies have been bothering me causing me to sneeze alot....like right now....AAhhhhhhhhCHOKE!!!!

And as another Mets fan I want to thank Boston for removing the stench of the worst collapse of all times from our beloved Mets. 

And as another Mets fan I want to thank Boston for removing the stench of the worst collapse of all times from our beloved Mets. 

As Mets fans...how do you guys feel about your boy Reyes asking to be taken out of the game to preserve his batting title? Talk about class and being a true "team" player......

As Mets fans...how do you guys feel about your boy Reyes asking to be taken out of the game to preserve his batting title? Talk about class and being a true "team" player......

Let me start by saying I do not agree with Reyes asking to take himself out of the game. But to say he isn't a team player is,well largely nuts. The game meant nothing in the standings. And Reyes is hardly the first of last player The fans were win a batting title by leaving a game early (heck Wade Boggs sat out a series one year to preserve his average).

The fans were peeved for the move, and they had every right to be. But the team did not care.

The bigger issue is I believe Reyes played his last game for the Mets. The team will bad next year with him, and really bad without him. At that rate I would just gut the team. It would be better in the long run. What's the point with having elite players at SS and 3B, and nothing else? Just start over.

Let me start by saying I do not agree with Reyes asking to take himself out of the game. But to say he isn't a team player is,well largely nuts. The game meant nothing in the standings. And Reyes is hardly the first of last player The fans were win a batting title by leaving a game early (heck Wade Boggs sat out a series one year to preserve his average).

The fans were peeved for the move, and they had every right to be. But the team did not care.

The bigger issue is I believe Reyes played his last game for the Mets. The team will bad next year with him, and really bad without him. At that rate I would just gut the team. It would be better in the long run. What's the point with having elite players at SS and 3B, and nothing else? Just start over.

Just because wade boggs did it, doesn't make it right. But why was that comment nuts? He is the best player on the team, and him playing gives his team the best chance to win. Granted their season was over, and they still won the game, he still put his personal achievement ahead of his teams. He cared more about his batting title than whether or not his team won. And like you said, it was probably his last game as a Met, so in the big picture does it really matter? Probably not. But to me, that situation makes him not a team player. Just my opinion though.

This is really being blown of proportion by Yankee fans who just want to make something out of nothing because it's the Mets....This has happened many times before and will happen again in the near future...At most, Reyes would have gotten one more at bat before being pulled...A lot of players are pulled in the last home game if the game is meaningless...It lets them get an ovation from the fans and lets everyone play in the last home game of the season...Why is no one making a big deal of David Wright coming out shortly after that?

Alas, it's happened before ...

1976 NL: Ken Griffey Sr. Griffey entered the final day hitting .338. Bill Madlock was hitting .333. But Madlock went 4-for-4 for the Cubs to raise his average to .339. Once word reached Cincinnati, Griffey entered in the seventh inning, but went 0-for-2.

1983 NL: Bill Madlock. Now with the Pirates, Madlock was hitting .323 entering the final game. He sat. Lonnie Smith went 2-for-5 to finish at .321. Jose Cruz Sr. went 0-for-4 to fall from .320 to .318. The title was Madlock's. Actually, we could do a whole blog on Madlock. He apparently tore a calf muscle on Sept. 5 and only had 19 plate appearances the rest of the season. He had played the five previous games, however -- although he had left the final four before the fifth inning. In fact, in all of his batting title seasons, Madlock missed time in September with injuries. How many of these were legit remains open to debate. In 1983, it's odd that he kept attempting to play only to leave games early. Bill James once wrote, "I never saw any other player who was as focused on batting championships as Bill Madlock ... if he was in the hunt for the title the guys in the press box used to run a poll to see who could pick the days that Madlock's hamstring would keep him out of the lineup."

1982 AL: Willie Wilson. Hitting .332, Wilson sat out game No. 162. Robin Yount was hitting .328 and went for 4-for-5 with two home runs (in a game the Brewers needed to win capture the AL East), but fell short at .331.

2003 AL: Bill Mueller. Entering the last day, Mueller was at .327, Derek Jeter was at .326, and Mueller's Boston teammate Manny Ramirez was at .325. Mueller and Ramirez didn't start for Boston. Jeter went 0-for-3 for the Yankees to drop to .324. Mueller pinch-hit in the eighth inning -- but only after Jeter was already 0-for-3. Mueller finished at .326 to win the title.

1991 NL: Terry Pendleton. Hitting .319, Pendleton didn't play the final game. Hal Morris went 3-for-4 for the Reds to raise his average from .314 to .318. Tony Gwynn finished third at .317, but he was injured and didn't play the final three weeks of the season.

1986 NL: Tim Raines. Raines had a strained chest muscle that had forced him to miss three games the final week, but he had played all 14 innings in the game before the season finale. Manager Bob Rodgers informed Raines that Steve Sax would have to go 4-for-4 to catch Raines if he sat. Raines said he hadn't swung the bat well the night before. He sat. "I think it would be unfair for anyone to criticize him for deciding to sit it out, because he's been such a good team player all year," Rodgers said. Sax got just one hit and Raines won the crown.

Those are just a few examples I came up with on short notice. The history of the sport is littered with controversial batting titles, most notoriously the 1910 race between Nap Lajoie and Ty Cobb (Lajoie recorded seven bunt hits in a doubleheader against the Browns on the final day of the season) and the 1976 AL race, when Hal McRae was battling Royals teammate George Brett (and Minnesota's Rod Carew). In the bottom of the ninth, Brett trailed McRae. He needed a hit (McRae was on deck). He blooped a ball that Twins left fielder Steve Brye misjudged. The ball bounced over his head and Brett circled the bases for an inside-the-park home run. When McRae then grounded out (leaving Brett at .333, McRae at .332), he made two obscene gestures to the Minnesota bench, had to be restrained, and later alleged racism was involved (Brye was white, McRae black). (For more on the 1976 controversy, here's a good take.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/16808/jose-reyes-leaves-game-to-protect-title

Back