NBA scouting

dee

After watching Jeremy Lin play, you have to wonder if the NBA scouts really know what they are doing or if they can really see and evaluate talent. I think this whole Lin story says more about the scouting then anything else. That is why I believed at the time and still do today that Dwight Hardy should have been drafted by some team or given a legitimate shot. Just looking at the Knicks, I feel he is better than Fields or that Shumpert kid (did I spell that wrong?). Does anyone know where Hardy is? Is he playing in Europe?

Crazy as it might sound, I think lots of people overlooked Lin because he is Asian and played for an Ivy. Knicks finally lucked out in one. He's just a heady player and runs a team really well.

Right and that is because the scouting is lacking and it just comes down to who Dickie V is touting

After watching Jeremy Lin play, you have to wonder if the NBA scouts really know what they are doing or if they can really see and evaluate talent. I think this whole Lin story says more about the scouting then anything else. That is why I believed at the time and still do today that Dwight Hardy should have been drafted by some team or given a legitimate shot. Just looking at the Knicks, I feel he is better than Fields or that Shumpert kid (did I spell that wrong?). Does anyone know where Hardy is? Is he playing in Europe?

Dwight is playing in Italy and leading the league in scoring. Was talking to someone yesterday about how these young kids get blown up in college and then they don't pan out in the pros. ie, Xavier Henry, who left Kansas after one year.

This goes beyond NBA scouting:
In his senior year in 2005–2006, Lin captained Palo Alto High School to a 32–1 record and upset nationally ranked Mater Dei, 51–47, for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Division II state title.According to Dana O'Neil of ESPN, "... Lin was the runaway choice for player of the year by virtually every California publication." He was named first-team All-State and Northern California Division II Player of the Year ending his senior year averaging 15.1 points, 7.1 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 5.0 steals.

Despite this Pac10 schools only wanted him to walk on and wouldn't give him a scholarship. Only Harvard and Brown guaranteed him a spot on their team.

The interesting thing from our recruiting perspective will be to find talent that goes beyond the ESPN, Rivals ranked recruits that everyone with a PC can see. It would be great for us to find the "Linlike" hidden gems that exist below the surface. The Jeremy Lin type is rare but there are others out there. Hopefully Lavin and company can excavate some gems that will blend with the talent we already have.  

Right and that is because the scouting is lacking and it just comes down to who Dickie V is touting
Gives us hope Maybe coach will find that overlooked player. They are out there

You have to realize that Jeremy Lin's story is a very rare, one out of a 1000, type story. The kid can play a little, but the fact that not one other team in the NBA wanted to give him a chance is really telling. He obviously has something about his game that the scouts didn't like. And lets not start calling him Jordan Jr. quite yet. He's played what, like 8 or 9 games? Not saying he can't play like this on a consistent basis, but lets just wait and see how long he can actually play at this level. And in the draft, there are only 60 players drafted....out of how many?? A couple thousand probably. So maybe scouts did look at Lin, but cant really afford to take a "chance" on somebody and hope it all works out in the end.

Just remember that for every Jeremy Lin out there, there are how many other players that the scouts were right about.

The scouts are a lazy bunch and their first priority is keeping their jobs. They take very few chances and go for the chalk every time. I wonder where the guy who called Nuri NBA ready is hiding right now. That's every scout's nightmare.  

There will always be players that went unnoticed who show they can play at the next level, and always be players who are drafted very high that turn out to be busts. Talent evaluation isn't quantitative, and while it's easier to predict that a Lebron James can be successful in the pros, even THAT isn't a guarantee. Lin was not only undrafted, but cut by two NBA teams this season alone. This is what inspires us in sports and in life, and to me at least, not a reason to gripe about how dumb scouts are.

How many people can't get a job, and then turn out to be fabulous hires by someone else. The moral is don't give up on yourself, just because someone else doesn't think you are good enough. 

Stanford is literally across the street from Palo Alto High School. He could jog from his high school gym to Maples Pavilion in five minutes. Out of everyone who missed the boat on Lin, they should be most embarrassed.

That said, I saw Lin play in high school, but never got the feeling I was watching something special. The team's result was always more impressive to me. Of course, the team got the result because of Lin.

When you look back over his entire body of work, it's not a shock he's finally doing something in the NBA, but I think the system he's in is inflating the numbers a bit. That doesn't matter much, though, because his game is growing rapidly now that he's finally getting the playing time.

The scouts are a lazy bunch and their first priority is keeping their jobs. They take very few chances and go for the chalk every time. I wonder where the guy who called Nuri NBA ready is hiding right now. That's every scout's nightmare.  

Right because being lazy is the best way to keep your job. :unsure:

Here are two great articles on Lin. I've sworn off the Knicks since Isaiah Thomas ran the team, and continued when Dolan tried to hire him back as advisor. It was hard enough rooting for Ewing, the hated Hoya in the Riley Renaissance. Here is a guy really worth rooting for:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/02/11/9-lessons-jeremy-lin-can-teach-us-before-we-go-to-work-monday-morning/

http://www.intervarsity.org/studentsoul/item/jeremy-lin

they were talking about this on bloomberg radio and one scout said we do need to change how we evaluate. Ur said a kid like Lin would be put one on one versus another player when that isn't his game. He said you really need to see him in a 5 on 5 situation to really appreciate his pass first game.

Back