N Y is the mecca of broadway musicals

jaygee

Oklahoma was the longest running play on broadway. There  were hundreds of others like Hello Dolly, Carousel,Gypsy, West Side Story,
42nd Street,The Sound of Music

Oklahoma was the longest running play on broadway. There  were hundreds of others like Hello Dolly, Carousel,Gypsy, West Side Story,

Jaygee, have you been nipping a bit ... maybe at Joe Allen's or Sardi's, or maybe some bar in Chelsea?

I saw Oklahoma!, West Side Story, and My Fair Lady, all on Broadway while living there. Also Fiddler on the Roof, Pippin, The King and I, Grease, Godspell, and Shenandoah. 

And of course since the old Republic and its vaudeville shows no longer operates, there's just not that much live theater on Broadway in Brooklyn.

NY is the Mecca of BROADWAY mucicals?

File this one under, "DUH!"

Sorry, I was typing my message and was about to submit it and lost it.Oklahoma was one of the longest running plays on Broadway. There were hundreds of others West Side Story,South Pacific,My Fair Lady, Camelot,Showboat, Kiss Me Kate,Pajama Game,Sound of Music,A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Take Me Along,Gigi, 42nd Street, Annie Get Your Gun, Brigadoon, Damn Yankees,Finans Rainbow,Sweet Charity,On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, Grease,Phantom,of the Opera,A Little Night Music, Hair,Chicago,Bye Bye Birdie, Gypsy,Carousel, Guys and Dolls, Hello Dolly, Fiddle on the Roof, Man of LaMancha, Call Me Madam, Music Man, The King and I, Mame, Anything Goes,Mack & Mabel,No No Nanette,Cats,Chorus Line,Flower Drum Song,etc.While I was in the Navy we went to a stage door canteen in Philadelphia and they asked for 5 voluneers and I volunteered,We were chauffered to see On The Town,We loved the music which had New York New York, is a Hell of a Town, and Lucky to Be Me.Most of the people in the audience was humming Lucky to Be Me. They introduced the entire cast to us,which was a thrill. The movie version, left out Lucky to Be Me. I guess the movie director left the song out which should have been sung by Gene Kelly to Vera Ellen,( Miss Turnstyle)

Back