Media Day with Rex

lawmanfan

Staff member
 Media: Rex, how do you think things would have turned out if the Chargers hired you instead of Norv?

Rex: Oh, hell, those teams were loaded, I would have had 2 or 3 SuperBowl rings, easy.

M: What if New England had hired you instead of Bill Belichick?

R: Listen, everybody knows that Bill is a great coach. But I’m not here to kiss his rings. He only won three SuperBowls in what, 10, 12 years? I would have had at least 5 or 6, easy.

M: Back in the day the Steelers had Chuck Noll, those teams won four SuperBowls. How do you compare to Chuck?

R: You know, I really respect what those Steeler teams did defensively. The Steel Curtain, Mean Joe Greene, those teams were stacked on defense. But you know, I love defense. I’m passionate about defense. There were a couple years in there that the Steelers didn’t win the SuperBowl. Now I’m not saying that I’m better than Chuck Noll, but I’m pretty sure I could’ve run at least 6 in a row there, with those teams.

M: What do you think of those Cowboy teams in the early 90s?

R: Now when you talk about loaded, I mean, those teams were LOADED, and I mean on both sides of the ball. I don’t know what the heck was going on there with Jerry Jones and those coaches, but if I were in charge there’s no way we would have had less than 7 or 8 SuperBowls, easy.

M: In the 80s the Niners weren’t too shabby.

R: Well, they did OK. They won four SuperBowls in eight years, so that’s not too bad. What I want to know is, what the heck happened the other four years? You can’t have those kinds of letdowns. At least, my teams don’t. No question, if I had the keys to that Cadillac it would have been 8 in a row.

M: There’s really only one team left to talk about, then Coach – what about Vince Lombardi?

R: You know, you can’t really talk about SuperBowls with those Packer teams, because they were sort of before the whole SuperBowl things. But a championship is a championship. Old Vince was there what, 12 years and only won five? I guarantee you that I would have gone 12 for 12 with those teams.

M: Coach, are your Jets going to win the SuperBowl this year?

R: I guarantee it. Just like I guaranteed it the last two years.

Back