John K. Bingham - an exceptional St. John's Alum. Please read

Beasts of the East

2023 $upporter
In 1980, a young man named John K. Bingham graduated St. John's University in New York, and was awarded its highest honor at commencement as the outstanding graduate of his class, the prestigious President's medal for his academic achievements and service to the student community. A brilliant student, two-time student government president, beloved fraternity brother and too many volunteer endeavors to list here, the sky was the limit.

After SJU, he attained a law degree from Fordham, and began a rapid ascent up the corporate ladder in the legal department of a wall street investment firm.

The Vincentians at St. John's stress a ministry to the poor. The Jesuits at Fordham live by the motto "Men and Women for others." A man with deep faith, John was influenced by both Catholic orders.

The gospels tell us that we cannot serve both God and money. One day John walked into his manager's office and abruptly resigned. He gave away his business suits, and volunteered to serve in the Cambodian camps in Thailand, where 250,000 refugees fleeing the brutality of the Khmer Rouge regime.

One year of service became two, then four became eight. He taught law to groups of refugees, who made an indelible imprint on his heart. God blessed him with a wife, Agnes, also a passionate volunteer from France. They settled on Long Island, and despite the economic pressures of raising 4 boys, shunned resuming a mercurial corporate career to work for eight years as a Director of Immigration and Legal services for Catholic Charities, ministering to migrants from around the globe. A man who loved God and country, he also loved his wife dearly and they decided to return to her native France, where he worked 13 years as Head of Policy for ICMC in Geneva. One colleague noted that in his tenure every single piece of important migrant policy had John's fingerprints on them, as he advocated for change in remote countries, Washington DC, and the United Nations, still finding time to open the doors of his own home to homeless migrants from time to time.

St. Ignatius, founder of the Jesuits instructed his followers to go "set the world on fire" in word and deed. In his life John did exactly that, giving every ounce of his energy and attention to his mission and to his large extended family.

John was abruptly called home to God peacefully in his sleep on July 26, 2022 in France where he was waked and buried. His family invites all friends, former colleagues, SJU and Fordham alumni, students and administration, and anyone needing inspiration, to a celebration of John's life on July 25th, 2023 and a memorial anniversary mass on July 26th at St. Agnes Cathedral in Rockville Centre, NY.

Knowing John was a joy, and being influenced by his life a blessing. I experienced both, and am a better person for it. Please see the attached invitations and information.

#Sju #fordham #christian #saintly #jesuits #vincentian #migrants #refugees #icmc #unitednations #catholic

Attachments

• livret-messe.pdf
    401.1 KB · Views: 14
I didn't intend to write about this here, but a few days before the memorial service I was asked by John's family to speak about him at that event. I learned there would be about 200+ people there, some who had traveled from across the country, a few from other countries. Many were SJU alums, a bunch of which had season tickets for years. John as a student was part of about 40 of us who had tickets behind the SJU bench.

Being asked to publicly speak about someone after they have passed is a tremendous honor and blessing, but it very difficult for me. You want to get every word just right, and there is some finality in doing someone's memory justice. His entire family flew here from their home in France, all his surviving siblings, nieces and nephews were all there, and many sju alums. A few colleagues from around the world flew here, and many other watched the 2 events livestreamed (they are available on youtube). I was asked to speak about John's time at SJU and in that era.

I had discovered or maybe forgotten that one of the very best guys on here, one of the 114 guys, has a sister who married one of John's brothers. This guy also grew up as a very close friend of my brother-in-law, as well as another 114 guy. It all reminded me just how connected we all are here, especially among alums.

I saw some people I had not seen in decades, and each was very much the same great person I knew way back when. A little older, a little grayer, some with enormous careers, some extraordinary men and women with ordinary lives. Collectively, it made me so proud and happy that I had come to St. John's. We may not be Ivy League academically, but in terms of incredibly good, faithful, caring people, I would compare us to any school anywhere. All of us from basically the same place - mostly working class people coming to SJU because of a low cost Catholic education. People who knew they'd have to work hard to gain success. That common experience binds us all together in one of the largest and greatest cities on us.

A few weeks ago I told Rick Pitino a very close version of that. I told him this may prove to be the most rewarding stop in a very long and successful career. That winning here, in his hometown, with and for hometown fans, and restoring a once great program, may be more important than anything he's done - because he is one of us. One of us.

I've been asked to do eulogies before. Each time they were for people I greatly admired and greatly loved. This was no different. It doesn't get easier, searching for the right words, the right stories, to paint a picture of someone like John, who was globally important.

Father Aidan Rooney, new at SJU, and VP for the Congregation of the Missions, elected to attend and concelebrate only after learning about John by reading the article I posted here, from the alumni journal. A faculty member from the College of Pharmacy showed up to hear about John simply because I had told him previously what a great faithful man John was.

I write all this in part, because, we are all part of a community much bigger than ourselves. Yes, we can fault the university at every perceived mistake they make. We can complain at men's basketball failures as if they really mattered much. But what I think I rediscovered most in the past week is that there is an incredible richness to the people who make up our community, the SJU alumni community, and I would urge anyone to get more involved, become more active, in all ways. Yes, that will be better for the community, making us a bigger and better St. Johns. But much more importantly, for me at least, it had been better for me, and I trust better for you as well.

Back