Johan Cruyff, RIP

TX Redman

Top 5, maybe Top 3 all time. Dutch teams of '74 and '78* were exceptional. Legend at Barca. Class act.

* Correction, Cruyff retired from Int'l Football in 1977 and did not partake in Argentina WC.

Oh no. I remember watching him live when he was a member of the Washington Diplomats when they came to play the Cosmos.

Wonderful and classy player. RIP.

Messi, Pele, Cruyff. What a legend, RIP

I would gone with Maradona before Messi but every year little Leo gets closer to Diego and if the former wins another Champions League he might move ahead in my mind. In his favor, Maradona has the 1986 WC but his career is tainted by drug use. But man, for about 6 years he was special. He did it in three countries and did not have the cast that Lionel has... but Messi continues no amaze, almost no decline.

I think I will just spend the rest of the afternoon watching his greatness. I did not realize he started La Masia Academy at Barcelona. Wow.

His thoughts on how the game should be played and his managerial career at Barca - just exceptional. What a legacy.

Cruyff gets my vote as the all time best. He was my intro to soccer (I knew of the Dutch national team as early as I did Cosmos because of a relative who loved soccer) and as entertaining as Garrincha and others mentioned above.

His impact on the game is incredibly deep and everlasting.

And his youtube clips, and games featuring the Total Football of Ajax and Netherlands is as fun as you'll find.

I highly recommend the book "Brilliant Orange" about Football in Holland. Obviously Cruyff is a central figure, though it uses footy to connect to Dutch culture as a whole.

Back