Jerry Maguire

Spocky Ramone

Yes, one of the most iconic sports movies of all time - released in 1996 - where has the time gone? And it contains one of the most memorable movie lines this side of Casablanca... SHOW ME THE MONEY! This phrase was ubiquitous back in the day, which is also the last century. As well as the last millenium. I can still see the superstar athlete screaming SHOW ME THE MONEY, and in the end, the money was on full display.

By now, I know you all realize I'm talking about...

This guy!

BBD2.jpg

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day, Met fans! Only 2 more payments to go until we're in single-digit payments to go! And doesn't he look grand on the thousand dollar bill? He would be the third person to grace the front of this particular greenback, joining a broadway play subject and two thirds of a HOF pitcher (that's 248.6667 wins!).

A separate deferred-contract from the Baltimore Orioles that began in 2004 pays Bonilla $500,000 a year through 2029, boosting his yearly income from deferred salary to $1,693,248.20.

Who knew?

A separate deferred-contract from the Baltimore Orioles that began in 2004 pays Bonilla $500,000 a year through 2029, boosting his yearly income from deferred salary to $1,693,248.20.

Who knew?
Damn--Bobby had one great Agent/financial planner team

Damn--Bobby had one great Agent/financial planner team
The Bobby Bonilla contract should be taught to every single professional athlete. Defer large chunks of your pay to an annuity that starts paying you later in life and you will avoid financial ruin.

The numbers it was based off of, the 15% returns that the Wilpons were hoodwinked to believe they were getting, actually weren't so crazy. Over the ten years the S&P has returned over 13% annually on average, and when you compound that the growth is staggering.

By letting the deferred portion vest till age 50 at 8%, Bonilla allowed this money to grow for him tax free. In an era where most athletes are flat out broke within 5 years of retirement, Bonilla did great. I never thought he dogged it on the field, he wasn't a headache or substance abuser. His biggest crime was he didn't play as well as expected, and was a redux of George Foster for the Mets.

Back