Is Anyone Looking Forward To The Start of

NYCRedmen

College Football?

I must admit that I used look forward to the college football season. I always wanted for the Big East football schools to do well b/c other than the great Miami teams, they were generally underdogs when compared to the power football conferences. Now there is no Big East football and that sport essentially destroyed the best college hoops league ever. I think I will root for any team that challenges the "establishment" (especially non conference teams playing the ACC), but in reality the best thing about college football now may be that we are that much closer to the start of college basketball.

College Football?

I must admit that I used look forward to the college football season. I always wanted for the Big East football schools to do well b/c other than the great Miami teams, they were generally underdogs when compared to the power football conferences. Now there is no Big East football and that sport essentially destroyed the best college hoops league ever. I think I will root for any team that challenges the "establishment" (especially non conference teams playing the ACC), but in reality the best thing about college football now may be that we are that much closer to the start of college basketball.

I never liked NCAAF because there is zero parity. It's the same usual suspects...Texas, Texas A&M, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. over and over and over and over and over until you turn blue in the face. There is no such thing as a cinderella in NCAAF. VCU, George Mason, and Wichita State have all recently made the Final Four. The only major upset I've seen is Appalachain State beating #5 Michigan. That was insanity. But App State's beating #5 Michigan's happens on a weekly basis in NCAABB and seemingly every March. If you are SUNY Stony Brook or Buffalo and step onto the field at USC, you know you are going to get beat 45-3 if not 63-3 with near certainty. The difference in programs is so massive. However if SB or Buffalo send their basketball teams to Duke, hey you never know...there's always a chance.

If you want to watch a more traditional same ol' same ol' every year with no playoff system and no cinderellas, NCAAF might be the drug for you. If you want to watch a wild free for all where anyone can get beat on any given day and enjoy a real playoff like March Madness, then NCAABB might be the drug for you.

Don't want to take this too far off of the topic. And for the OP I am kind of interested for some reason. I used to watch CFB religiously as a kid. Then I stopped. And last 2 years I've kind of gotten back into it.

But Joe brought up Appalachian St. Is it me? Maybe its just this new day and age with media but it seems to me there are more and more players from small schools getting to the NFL?

Don't want to take this too far off of the topic. And for the OP I am kind of interested for some reason. I used to watch CFB religiously as a kid. Then I stopped. And last 2 years I've kind of gotten back into it.

But Joe brought up Appalachian St. Is it me? Maybe its just this new day and age with media but it seems to me there are more and more players from small schools getting to the NFL?

I don't know what the percentages are, but I think there have always been players from small schools who made the NFL (e.g., Phil Simms from Morehead State, Pat Swilling, Sam Mills) and were very successful. Maybe you're right that more make it now, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

As for CFB, it doesn't have the same luster it used to have. I agree that there are fewer upsets, but you do get the occasional Boise State who comes out of nowhere. The big difference in CFB is that the powers that be will never let a school like that have a shot at a title. That's how a Nebraska and others can play for a National Championship, yet not even play in their conference title game. What a joke. Unless they go to a tournament with a decent number of teams (16 at least), it will never be as entertaining as CBB for me.

In answer to the question the title of the thread asks...What do you think! :) Joe names teams that are always the same on top and leaves off Alabama winner of 3 of the last 4 NC's-nuff said. Another says CF has lost it's luster...it is bigger and more popular than ever! Maybe you guys are angry that football caused all this realignment and caused the demise of the old BE Conference or maybe you are just not football fans at least of college. I know this is a hoop site so maybe it would be better if we stick to basketball. :)

In answer to the question the title of the thread asks...What do you think! :) Joe names teams that are always the same on top and leaves off Alabama winner of 3 of the last 4 NC's-nuff said. Another says CF has lost it's luster...it is bigger and more popular than ever! Maybe you guys are angry that football caused all this realignment and caused the demise of the old BE Conference or maybe you are just not football fans at least of college. I know this is a hoop site so maybe it would be better if we stick to basketball. :)

Alabama is added to the list...my point was it's always the same schools at the top. You have a team like Utah that goes undefeated all year, yet isn't allowed to play for the championship. That's BS. It says "no matter how good you are, since you are a no name school you can't even have the privilege of facing the big boys". College basketball welcomes exactly what they deny. Schools like Oregon, Alabama, USC, Texas, etc. are so ridiculously far ahead of the little guys it's like the top 1% richest vs. the bums in the street. College basketball is a much more level playing field...yes there are the blue bloods, but they routinely go down...just ask Kentucky. We smacked Duke around a few years ago. You won't see SUNY Albany playing a competitive game vs. Florida in football.

The gap between the haves and have nots is about as big as it can possibly be in football. This is why I stick to the NFL for my football fix. College football is 100% pointless when it's run by politics rather than letting the best teams win i.e. Utah. If college football had some kind of tourney like basketball it would be amazing. But that couldn't happen because Texas has its own sports network on TV while a school like Albany plays on a high school esque field. It's just not even close. I'll take NCAABB any day.

I meant that it doesn't have the same luster for me. I watch it all the time, but don't look forward to it like I used to.

I would imagine being a Bama fan must be easy these days. I will say that if a school is going to dominate the sport, better Bama than Miami or FSU. Saban is easy to root for.

I meant that it doesn't have the same luster for me. I watch it all the time, but don't look forward to it like I used to.

I would imagine being a Bama fan must be easy these days. I will say that if a school is going to dominate the sport, better Bama than Miami or FSU. Saban is easy to root for.

I'm with Jnaw on this. College football doesn't have the same luster for me as it once did but I will still watch it as a casual fan. The whole concept of losing just one game and possibly having to play in some ridiculous thing like the "Go Daddy.com Bowl" is kind of funny. On the other hand, I'd rather see a team like the old Miami teams on top b/c it was going against the "good old boy establishment". Not sure that Saban is an easy guy to root for though unless you are an Alabama fan. Many people I know who are much more college football crazed than I will ever be call him the "Calipari of Football"

Wait a minute. I thought Syracuse was “New York’s” team? Rutgers, maybe? As it turns out, nobody is New York’s team. From the New York Times: “A study by Scarborough Sports Marketing from February 2012 through March 2013 ranked the top 77 markets in affinity for college football and found that only 7.6 percent New York area residents considered themselves to be “very interested” in the sport.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/john-rooke-thinking-out-loud98/

Wait a minute. I thought Syracuse was “New York’s” team? Rutgers, maybe? As it turns out, nobody is New York’s team. From the New York Times: “A study by Scarborough Sports Marketing from February 2012 through March 2013 ranked the top 77 markets in affinity for college football and found that only 7.6 percent New York area residents considered themselves to be “very interested” in the sport.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/john-rooke-thinking-out-loud98/

In other news the sky is blue.

PS TIS, I'm glad you posted it but a study need not have been taken.

Back