Is An Ivy League Diploma Worth It ?

A degree from an Ivy frequently provides an edge for employment or professional,school.

My above statement does not mean that the education received at the Ivy institution is better than at the non Ivy but the fact is certain employers or professional schools favor an Ivy grad during the application process.

There are many factors to consider when evaluating top tier schools, and it is a worthwhile discussion.

Ivy's are as much defined by the quality of the students they attract than by their faculty and infrastructure. A student qualified to attend an Ivy will likely do well anywhere.

However, there is a biblical principal that iron sharpens iron, and being in a competitive academic environment among the top students in the United States (and world) fosters diligence, creativity, and boundless goals.

Ivy league schools typically employ more qualified and accomplished faculty, including world renowned scientists, economists, and even world leaders. Students without a doubt benefit from this.

There is an overhwhelming notion among students and parents, however, that being accepted at a prestigious college or  university is a destination in itself, and not a means to an end or just a starting point.

As the article noted, in this shaky economy, many top students are saving their money for post graduate studies. This makes sense. If you just look at the college destinations list for a top local high school like Chaminade, the number of students attending state and city college has greatly increased.

No question Ivy league grads are more attractive candidates for jobs on face value alone. When pouring through a pile of resumes, prospective employers will no doubt pull Ivy league and top tier school resumes first. The rest is up to the candidate to interview well and perform well.

All in all, in my opinion, if you can afford an ivy league education, then it's worth it. Then again, if you are bright enough to make an Ivy, you are likely going to be successful anyway. As we all know, Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

A master's degree from Columbia enabled me to choose which doctoral program I would enroll in. I was told point blank at one university that it was the Columbia M.A. that made me such a desirable commodity. 

When I went to dental school, the Ivy league graduates in my class did no better academically then the non ivy league graduates.

Back