How About A 3 Year B.A. ????

In addition, SJU has offered a Doctorate of Pharmacy in 5 years as well as a 5-year Masters in Accounting which my sister completed.  

Pharmacy was a 5 year bachelor's degree, but consistent with all other pharmacy schools in the US, is now a 6 year entry level PharmD.

I believe that Pharmacy used to be 5 year but additional year was added shortly after. I could be wrong, but believe that back in 99' when I graduated it was 5 years.

I agree with you in theory and I made sure I knew what I wanted to do before I went to college so I had a plan, but honestly the overwhelming majority of teens don't have any idea what they want to do the first year of college, sometimes even into the first semester of their soph. year. You can't just demand that someone pick a major when they honestly need to think more about it and take some different classes to find their niche. It's like demanding that a go-kart go 200 MPH...
It's actually nothing like demanding that any sort of motor vehicle do anything. What it is like is like demanding that a human being who has attained legal majority act like an adult instead of a child. It's just as easy and probably easier to find your niche while digging ditches or hitch hiking to British Columbia. The difference is that instead of the citizenry subsidizing the adult's extended adolescence in the latter case the adult is taking responsibility for his own choices. Which is what maturity comprises and what you don't learn when you have a meal plan.

College is not a place where 18 year olds should go to decide what they want to be when they grow up. It's a place where grown ups should go when they know what they want to be, should what they want to be require specialized training. Most things - like entry level sales positions - do not.

Universal higher education - the idea that everyone needs to go to college to succeed - is the biggest racket foisted on the American public since prohibition. Government support allows students freedom without responsibility and turns out yearly a herd of entry level job applicants with few marketable skills, wisdom comprising an arcane knowledge of esoteric facts, and no practical experience. Tenure rewards incompetence and buffoonery. And what passes for scholarship outside the sciences in the main consists of a bunch of under-achieving civil servants peer-reviewing each other's ordure while indoctrinating their charges in government mandated propaganda. They should get someone with a PhD to blow the whole thing up. 

You speak a lot about what college "should" be. You are too theoretical and not grounded enough. In THEORY you break the law every time you surpass 55 MPH on the LIE, but in REALITY you usually don't get a ticket. In THEORY our government is supposed to be looking out for us, but in REALITY they are oozing with corruption and only concerned about personal gain. In THEORY someone going to college would have at least a decent idea of what they want to do in terms of a career but in REALITY most don't know for a while.

Your brief tenure rant suggests to me that you might be an angry businessman going to your 9-5, working overtime and holidays while also working summers and having zero job security. The difference between the unions and private sector are stark and unfair in favor of unions I will admit, but there is always that saying, "If you can't beat em, join em". So glad I didn't choose business.

You speak a lot about what college "should" be. You are too theoretical and not grounded enough. In THEORY you break the law every time you surpass 55 MPH on the LIE, but in REALITY you usually don't get a ticket. In THEORY our government is supposed to be looking out for us, but in REALITY they are oozing with corruption and only concerned about personal gain. In THEORY someone going to college would have at least a decent idea of what they want to do in terms of a career but in REALITY most don't know for a while.
I'm always appreciative when posters CAPITALIZE the important words so that I know which ones to pay attention to, thanks for that. Also thanks for giving me the several examples of differences between theory and reality, I think I get it now. Talk about your facepalm. What you're saying that is that if you're in a go-kart going 200 MPH on the expressway and you get a ticket you should be able to get out of it by bribing the corrupt judge because he has two daughters in college and they can't decide what to major in because they're only 22 and haven't found their Neitzsche yet. Do I have that about right?

Your brief tenure rant suggests to me that you might be an angry businessman going to your 9-5, working overtime and holidays while also working summers and having zero job security.
And your postings suggest to me that you might be a functional retard who lives in his parents basement and is having difficulty learning to tie his shoes. In THEORY I probably shouldn't have said that, but in REALITY I JDGAF.

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time this year trying to hire an exceptional recent college graduate for an entry level sales position.
\Thanks for your reply, and I think there is merit in it. The reaso I am looking so high for entry level sales, is that we sell entirely to c-suite executives, and the products we sell are in the million dollar plus range. We aren't selling widgets - we produce sophisticated products that require an in depth domain knowledge, plus the potential to become a persuasive seller of them. It's a tall order, but I'd prefer to begin with someone talented and less experienced, than someone who has picked up bad habits over the years.

I coudl care less about the school they graduate from, HOWEVER, having interviewed from many local schools in this region, the pool of talented candidates is rather shallow from middle and lower tier schools. If you are ever going to influence a CEO, CFO, COO, or CIO to buy from you, you need poise, presence and a significant knowledge and vocabulary. If you know of any such younger candidates, you can contact me privately.

That doesn't sound like you should be hiring an entry level kid. Why are you looking for someone so young and not experienced? Are you underpaying for the role and can't get more experienced people?

I'm always appreciative when posters CAPITALIZE the important words so that I know which ones to pay attention to, thanks for that. Also thanks for giving me the several examples of differences between theory and reality, I think I get it now. Talk about your facepalm. What you're saying that is that if you're in a go-kart going 200 MPH on the expressway and you get a ticket you should be able to get out of it by bribing the corrupt judge because he has two daughters in college and they can't decide what to major in because they're only 22 and haven't found their Neitzsche yet. Do I have that about right?

Your brief tenure rant suggests to me that you might be an angry businessman going to your 9-5, working overtime and holidays while also working summers and having zero job security.
And your postings suggest to me that you might be a functional retard who lives in his parents basement and is having difficulty learning to tie his shoes. In THEORY I probably shouldn't have said that, but in REALITY I JDGAF.

Let me ask you...if your son or daughter just graduated high school and had no idea what they wanted to do as a career, would you tell them not to go to college?

Didn't realize that was a serial killer...I was born in 1989 not 1960 remember?

I wasn't either. I'm not that much older than you. I was just reading how the current crop of HS and college kids know nothing about the things that happened before then. My GF is in her mid-20's and it blows my mind when she doesn't know what I'm talking about. I said Biz Markie and Slick Rick are playing around the corner soon. She said who? Kind of scary.

This is the way many college professors who teach introductory courses in the humanities and social sciences feel about their students nowadays.

The vast majority of students lack a frame of reference in regard to their own culture and very few show any interest in acquiring one.

Let me ask you...if your son or daughter just graduated high school and had no idea what they wanted to do as a career, would you tell them not to go to college?

This is not a fair question, because if I had a son or daughter I'd have strangled them with the umbilical cord and sued the abortionist for malpractice. That said, just earlier you were chiding me for not being grounded in reality and here you are springing a hypothetical. Make up your mind.

Anyway, the answer is: it depends. If my daughter was as hot as her mother and said she wanted to be a supermodel I'd advise her to move to NYC and get some head shots taken. If my son wanted to be a carpenter I'd buy him a hammer and nails. If had a run-of-the-mill son or daughter - notice I don't say normal, because no fruit of my loins would dare - who had no idea what they wanted to do, no, I don't think I'd advise them to go to college to figure it out, unless it was Harvard, because a degree from there is the keys to the kingdom. I might advise them to get a job. I might advise them to take the 10 grand they would have spent taking Intro to Anthropology and Transgendered Art History 101 and instead to go live in Paris for a year, or on the beach in the DR, or noshing on lutefisk in Reykjavik. I might advise them to join the Peace Corps. Almost anything, as long as they got the hell out of the house. Which is exactly the point I was made earlier. College is not for everyone. It's not supposed to be 13th grade. If it is then they should have a fith year of high school devoted to figuring out whether you want to be an astronaut or a fireman when you grow up.

This is not a fair question, because if I had a son or daughter I'd have strangled them with the umbilical cord and sued the abortionist for malpractice. That said, just earlier you were chiding me for not being grounded in reality and here you are springing a hypothetical. Make up your mind.

Anyway, the answer is: it depends. If my daughter was as hot as her mother and said she wanted to be a supermodel I'd advise her to move to NYC and get some head shots taken. If my son wanted to be a carpenter I'd buy him a hammer and nails. If had a run-of-the-mill son or daughter - notice I don't say normal, because no fruit of my loins would dare - who had no idea what they wanted to do, no, I don't think I'd advise them to go to college to figure it out, unless it was Harvard, because a degree from there is the keys to the kingdom. I might advise them to get a job. I might advise them to take the 10 grand they would have spent taking Intro to Anthropology and Transgendered Art History 101 and instead to go live in Paris for a year, or on the beach in the DR, or noshing on lutefisk in Reykjavik. I might advise them to join the Peace Corps. Almost anything, as long as they got the hell out of the house. Which is exactly the point I was made earlier. College is not for everyone. It's not supposed to be 13th grade. If it is then they should have a fith year of high school devoted to figuring out whether you want to be an astronaut or a fireman when you grow up.
  I usually enjoy your posts but those two first lines should get you banned from a parent who lost a small child. Saying what I would like to you now would get me banned.

Didn't realize that was a serial killer...I was born in 1989 not 1960 remember?

I wasn't either. I'm not that much older than you. I was just reading how the current crop of HS and college kids know nothing about the things that happened before then. My GF is in her mid-20's and it blows my mind when she doesn't know what I'm talking about. I said Biz Markie and Slick Rick are playing around the corner soon. She said who? Kind of scary.

Break it off.

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time this year trying to hire an exceptional recent college graduate for an entry level sales position.
\Thanks for your reply, and I think there is merit in it. The reaso I am looking so high for entry level sales, is that we sell entirely to c-suite executives, and the products we sell are in the million dollar plus range. We aren't selling widgets - we produce sophisticated products that require an in depth domain knowledge, plus the potential to become a persuasive seller of them. It's a tall order, but I'd prefer to begin with someone talented and less experienced, than someone who has picked up bad habits over the years.

I coudl care less about the school they graduate from, HOWEVER, having interviewed from many local schools in this region, the pool of talented candidates is rather shallow from middle and lower tier schools. If you are ever going to influence a CEO, CFO, COO, or CIO to buy from you, you need poise, presence and a significant knowledge and vocabulary. If you know of any such younger candidates, you can contact me privately.

That doesn't sound like you should be hiring an entry level kid. Why are you looking for someone so young and not experienced? Are you underpaying for the role and can't get more experienced people?

I've hired expereinced people many times, and for the most part, they bounce from company to company when the clocks runs out on their lack of success. There is a business truism that something like 3% of all salespeople earn 95% of all commissions. I know what I am looking for, but even in the experienced pool of candidates, I don't know many (if any) qualified candidates other than a few who have risen to VP level.

In addition, SJU has offered a Doctorate of Pharmacy in 5 years as well as a 5-year Masters in Accounting which my sister completed.  

Pharmacy was a 5 year bachelor's degree, but consistent with all other pharmacy schools in the US, is now a 6 year entry level PharmD.

I believe that Pharmacy used to be 5 year but additional year was added shortly after. I could be wrong, but believe that back in 99' when I graduated it was 5 years.

SJU formerly did offer a 5 year BS in pharmacy, and wrestled with the topic of an entry level pharmD for over 20 years, with the major stumbling block being the ability to offer a reasonable way for existing pharmacists to attain the PharmD. The internet helped solved that to a limited extent, but in any case a pharmacy degree is an expensive proposition (6 years plus licensure) but entry level salaries of over $100,000.

SJU formerly did offer a 5 year BS in pharmacy, and wrestled with the topic of an entry level pharmD for over 20 years, with the major stumbling block being the ability to offer a reasonable way for existing pharmacists to attain the PharmD. The internet helped solved that to a limited extent, but in any case a pharmacy degree is an expensive proposition (6 years plus licensure) but entry level salaries of over $100,000.

Salaries are very good. My girlfriend while I was at SJU in late 90's completed the PharmD program, which i thought i remembered to be 5 years at the time of inception, while I was in the P.A. Program. At that time, it was not nearly as expensive with SJU costing about 15-17k per year and only 5 years for the PharmD. Once again though, the pharmD is still a pretty worthwhile degree despite cost. It's the length of the standard Masters program, but you graduate with a very well-paying and marketable degree and doctorate nonetheless in only 6 years.  

A good friend of mine has a son who just graduated from a 4 yr grad program in Physical Theraphy from Seton Hall.

He had 6 job offers.

Did his undergrad work from Kentucky (biology major) 

I've hired expereinced people many times, and for the most part, they bounce from company to company when the clocks runs out on their lack of success. There is a business truism that something like 3% of all salespeople earn 95% of all commissions. I know what I am looking for, but even in the experienced pool of candidates, I don't know many (if any) qualified candidates other than a few who have risen to VP level.

In what ways specifically are they not qualified? Are you sure you aren't just looking for a perfect employee that doesn't exist? Everyone needs to start at some company or job...you learn as you go. 

Sales can be real tough. Either somebody has it in them or they don't and then you have an entirely different level of sales which it sounds like what you are dealing with when it's not just selling but how you carry yourself and how you are perceived by the person you are trying to do business with.

20 years ago trying to start out in my line of work the failure rate was something like 90% after 3-5 years.

Oh man looking back trying to get people to invest money with you when you are 22 years old with no track record was insane. But it built character and a thick skin. LOL

It's even tougher now. Now they are mainly looking for people who were established in other lines of work previously but even then I see pretty much all of them flame out in a year even though they are in their 40's and 50's because they are like Deer in headlights and don't know how to carry themselves with certain people with confidence.

I know someone right now looking for a job who is a smart guy and comes from sales but I can tell you right now from reading your post he isn't what you are looking for.

Good luck with the search

Mike thanks for your comments and suggestions. You are dead on in terms of sales ability. I am open to speaking with anyone who may be interested in this job, but most of the people I've interviewed over the phone do not possess the vocabulary and overall intellect to grow into this job.

I interact with a fair amount of CEOs, both professionally and personally, some involved with SJU. The very best of them have a strong presence and engaging personality to go along with obvious intellect and domain knowledge in their sector. In order to sell to that level of professional, requires a certain base level of skills which most people do not possess. Most people who sell in this sector don't possess those skills either, but some work for companies with a strong presence in this sector and there sales role is more hand holding than influencing.

Sales may possibly be the most difficult position in an organization to fulfill since it requires certain innate talents, diligence, knowledge, and doggedness that few other careers require to that level.

Sales can be real tough. Either somebody has it in them or they don't and then you have an entirely different level of sales which it sounds like what you are dealing with when it's not just selling but how you carry yourself and how you are perceived by the person you are trying to do business with.

20 years ago trying to start out in my line of work the failure rate was something like 90% after 3-5 years.

Oh man looking back trying to get people to invest money with you when you are 22 years old with no track record was insane. But it built character and a thick skin. LOL

It's even tougher now. Now they are mainly looking for people who were established in other lines of work previously but even then I see pretty much all of them flame out in a year even though they are in their 40's and 50's because they are like Deer in headlights and don't know how to carry themselves with certain people with confidence.

I know someone right now looking for a job who is a smart guy and comes from sales but I can tell you right now from reading your post he isn't what you are looking for.

Good luck with the search

Back