Guys still playing in the NCAA who were, or kind of were, SJU guys (some only if you squint)

IDRAFT

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
I found it irritating last year that if I wandered over to the "Old Friends" thread because I like to see updates on players such as Phil Greene or Shamorie Ponds I had to scroll through pages of "Memphis is a great team!" posts. Which, by the way, didn't age well. And if I went negative about any of the players, one in particular stands out to me, I was told to go away and not visit the thread. Which meant not getting any updates on people who actually were fun to watch while at SJU who are now overseas etc.

And now there will be another batch of transfers, and guys who will never play a game for SJU but think about it (like Yaxel, or Gardner) and it seems crazy to me to include so many guys in one thread. Anyway, my suggestion is that updates on Drissa, WHO I LOVE, could go here, as an example. Or Yaxel if he doesn't transfer to SJU. And if any of us care how they do as their life continues, we can follow it here. And if we come here and complain about reading about SJU NCAA players who transferred, or guys who visited once, or gave a ten-minute oral commitment, shame on us because don't look here. And we would deserve to be shamed.

But if we care how Julian is doing, or D'Angelo, or the legend that is Amar, they can be followed as the old friends they are without being lumped in with players that include guys who never played for SJU, or now want very much to beat SJU. These seem like very obvious separate categories to me.

Is this okay with folks?

Understand where you're coming from IDRAFT..

As originator of that thread, I went back to read initial intent of my idea.

Thought this might be a fun and useful thread for those that like the topic of former Johnnies...transfers out or perhaps any Johnnie alum

Not that my original intent matters as more than anyone else..Was curious what i posted..

After the above, I posted about Mikey Dixon having a 35 pt game for Idaho...and calling him a legend out West... šŸ¤£

Understand where you're coming from IDRAFT..

As originator of that thread, I went back to read initial intent of my idea.

Thought this might be a fun and useful thread for those that like the topic of former Johnnies...transfers out or perhaps any Johnnie alum

Not that my original intent matters as more than anyone else..Was curious what i posted..

After the above, I posted about Mikey Dixon having a 35 pt game for Idaho...and calling him a legend out West... šŸ¤£
But now you could post about him here. Even if you don't consider him a friend!

Yaxel Landeberg remaining at UAB.
I was going to pass on this thread IDRAFT. But I have to say what makes two guys like Justin Simon & Aaron Wheeler (who were two of my favorite Johnnies) and who left school to make bucks with eligibility remaining any more or less deserving of being called old friends than guys like Storr & Posh who transferred after the coach who recruited them was fired and it's even questionable how much they were wanted back?

Anyone who committed to wear the Johnnie uniform and did nothing to disgrace it while wearing it it is an Old Friend as far as I'm concerned. Yaxel & Gardner never wore it so maybe they are in a different category but no way I consider the others "kind of St. John's guys"; they are former Johnnies who I hope do well when they are not facing us. This is my last post on this thread, we just disagree on this one.

I was going to pass on this thread IDRAFT. But I have to say what makes two guys like Justin Simon & Aaron Wheeler (who were two of my favorite Johnnies) and who left school to make bucks with eligibility remaining any more or less deserving of being called old friends than guys like Storr & Posh who transferred after the coach who recruited them was fired and it's even questionable how much they were wanted back?

Anyone who committed to wear the Johnnie uniform and did nothing to disgrace it while wearing it it is an Old Friend as far as I'm concerned. Yaxel & Gardner never wore it so maybe they are in a different category but no way I consider the others "kind of St. John's guys"; they are former Johnnies who I hope do well when they are not facing us. This is my last post on this thread, we just disagree on this one.
You have a right to feel that way. Others do not. What is the harm in two threads? If this is where we post about current NCAA players and use another for current professionals I donā€˜t see the controversy. Justin Simon no longer competes against SJU. There is clearly a difference. And the guy I just posted about never played a game for SJU. Thatā€™s a big difference.

On top of that if anyone complained in the other thread about not caring about some of these transfer folks they were told donā€™t read the thread. Repeatedly. Which I already mentioned in this thread. That leaves fans of prior SJU players seeing posts about those players. Which seems unnecessary when I am presenting a simple solution.

We respectfully agree to disagree whichwe need more of in this country
Actually I think the last thing this country needs is more people disagreeing and heading to their corner. Iā€™ve never seen more of that. What I think we need more of is what was once called the art of the compromise. Which a second thread on this topic provides. With unlimited transfers there now is a huge volume of posts about guys who had some affiliation with SJU, why those players absolutely have to be included in the same thread as those playing professionally is a strange line in the sand to me. But thatā€™s me.

So I respectfully disagree with your overall point of view in life but it does provide light on why you would be so against any idea of compromise.

It is what it is, and if this thread is not used and dies a quick death I know I tried.

Actually I think the last thing this country needs is more people disagreeing and heading to their corner. Iā€™ve never seen more of that. What I think we need more of is what was once called the art of the compromise. Which a second thread on this topic provides. With unlimited transfers there now is a huge volume of posts about guys who had some affiliation with SJU, why those players absolutely have to be included in the same thread as those playing professionally is a strange line in the sand to me. But thatā€™s me.

So I respectfully disagree with your overall point of view in life but it does provide light on why you would be so against any idea of compromise.

It is what it is, and if this thread is not used and dies a quick death I know I tried.
Kind of funny that you could determine my "overall point of view in life" from one post on a basketball fan site. IDRAFT, I am not espousing people disagreeing and heading to their corners. My point was more that we won't always agree but when we don't we should do so respectfully without the name calling that has become so popular these days. Trust me, having raised four kids, I am very familiar with the art of the compromise and have more often than not employed it in my dealings with people.

Having said that, I am fine with breaking the Old Friends thread into two separate threads if that is the more popular solution with posters but would suggest that the sarcastic "some only if you squint" add on is unnecessary.

You guys can get really serious for a basketball thread. Sideways hints at parallel positions in other areas, other than sports, is a bit much. Respectfully. :)

You guys can get really serious for a basketball thread. Sideways hints at parallel positions in other areas, other than sports, is a bit much. Respectfully. :)
Not looking to flame the board, I'm sure the goal to discredit this thread was achieved. So, I'm done. Going to head over and look for a North Carolina board as I want to post about Simeon Wilcher and I'm sure there is a robust "Old Friends" thread over there that includes him with Michael Jordan.

Back