Favorite curret NYC eateries

gman

Staff member
 I figured Maher would have started some thread in here being the big foodie he is.Figured I'd start a post with some good spots to try in the city (and hopefully learn some from others).

My current favorite place is Joseph Leonard's in the West Village. Brunch and dinner are killer. Great midwestern fare. Pork belly was killer there. They also own Jefferies Grocery and Fedora. Been to JG for brunch once and oysters another time. It's a great option if JL is crowded. Haven't been to Fedora, but heard good things.

La Mar in the Credit Suisse building was also very good (old Tabla location). Peruvian food (but much more upscale than other Peruvian fave Pio Pio). Very clean flavors. Brought some heat to the dishes. Great overall meal. Very good service too.

I figured Maher would have started some thread in here being the big foodie he is.Figured I'd start a post with some good spots to try in the city (and hopefully learn some from others).

My current favorite place is Joseph Leonard's in the West Village. Brunch and dinner are killer. Great midwestern fare. Pork belly was killer there. They also own Jefferies Grocery and Fedora. Been to JG for brunch once and oysters another time. It's a great option if JL is crowded. Haven't been to Fedora, but heard good things.

La Mar in the Credit Suisse building was also very good (old Tabla location). Peruvian food (but much more upscale than other Peruvian fave Pio Pio). Very clean flavors. Brought some heat to the dishes. Great overall meal. Very good service too.

Ahhh Food !!!!

Still haven't been to Joseph Leonards but remember you and your girlfriend talking about it after that basketball game. Defintiely going to go there in the next month or so.

Haven't been to La Mar but my girlfriend was just down in Lima at a birthday party for a mutual friend and the La Mar owner/chef was there.

At the one in NYC peruvians aren't crazy about it. What did you think of the portions ? That seems to be what pisses off a lot of the peruvians we know but we still want to try it

We were just at the peru filmfest at nyu the other day and all the peruvians there love Panca. We went there with some of them and it was pretty damn good.

Still love Pio Pio the most.

Love Beacon. Going back there in a week.

Really really like In Vino in the east village.

I have to think of some more restaurants. Actually haven't eaten in manhattan that much in the last 2 months.  

Haven't been to La Mar but my girlfriend was just down in Lima at a birthday party for a mutual friend and the La Mar owner/chef was there.

At the one in NYC peruvians aren't crazy about it. What did you think of the portions ? That seems to be what pisses off a lot of the peruvians we know but we still want to try it

Portions are not large, but I wouldn't expect it to be at this kind of place. Trust me, I love a big meal. If it was my choice every meal would be at Plataforma. La Mar is like any other fancy place I've been too. Portions are similar to of the fancy pants places I've been to recently like Le Cirque, Casa Lever, Fishtails, Oceana, etc. Normally I only like these kinds of places when someone's corporate card is picking up the tab, but it was an anniversary dinner so I had to sacrifice stuffing my face for a nice dining experience. If it was up to me I'd go to a gastropub or home style italian place any time.

Speaking of Italian, Crispo gets my nod as best and most authentic Italian I've had in the city. Brought my step-mom there. Her parents are off the boat Italians and she raved about it. Killer bone marrow dish.

Portions are not large, but I wouldn't expect it to be at this kind of place. Trust me, I love a big meal. If it was my choice every meal would be at Plataforma. La Mar is like any other fancy place I've been too. Portions are similar to of the fancy pants places I've been to recently like Le Cirque, Casa Lever, Fishtails, Oceana, etc. Normally I only like these kinds of places when someone's corporate card is picking up the tab, but it was an anniversary dinner so I had to sacrifice stuffing my face for a nice dining experience. If it was up to me I'd go to a gastropub or home style italian place any time.

Speaking of Italian, Crispo gets my nod as best and most authentic Italian I've had in the city. Brought my step-mom there. Her parents are off the boat Italians and she raved about it. Killer bone marrow dish.
  gman you ever get back to huntington during the week ? I'm going to be meeting Marcus and Still Happy in a couple of weeks during the week

gman you ever get back to huntington during the week ? I'm going to be meeting Marcus and Still Happy in a couple of weeks during the week

On weeknights, generally no. But shoot me a text or PM when you guys decide.

On weeknights, generally no. But shoot me a text or PM when you guys decide. 

I love Risoteria on Carmine Street for authentic Italian risotto and panini. A somewhat limited menu, but certainly worth a try if you're in the mood. Also, down the block a neighborhood place on Carmine and Bleeker Tratoria Spaghetto is inexpensive,has big portions and is an old favorite.

I've never loved restaurant week. Limited menu and tiny portions. I've never left a restaurant as hungry as I did with Le Cirque on restaurant week, and my wallet was significantly lighter after wine and two drinks at the bar.

Back