Donald Sutherland, R.I.P., 88

RIP Mr Sutherland so many good roles, The dirty dozen, Animal House, Kellys Heros, mash, Klute to name just a few

Can we get a Redfan death pool thread and we all pick 10 people ? because I’m seeing a ton of RIPs on the hoops forum. Let’s make it interesting

I grew up on MASH the TV series every week. It was a big part of my upbringing, and as an adult, I appreciate its uncanny mixture of comedy and tragedy. There are few TV shows that can top it.

I went back and watched the movie. And while I usually love Robert Altman flicks, it was just way too absurd, too counter-culture and too far from the reality of war to make me appreciate it. It's one of those movies I just don't get. Way too metaphorical, allegorical with Vietnam on everyone's mind.

I mean the TV series ends with Hawkeye battling PTSD from a baby being killed. The movie ends with a freakin football game.

Anyway, RIP Donald Sutherland.

I grew up on MASH the TV series every week. It was a big part of my upbringing, and as an adult, I appreciate its uncanny mixture of comedy and tragedy. There are few TV shows that can top it.

I went back and watched the movie. And while I usually love Robert Altman flicks, it was just way too absurd, too counter-culture and too far from the reality of war to make me appreciate it. It's one of those movies I just don't get. Way too metaphorical, allegorical with Vietnam on everyone's mind.

I mean the TV series ends with Hawkeye battling PTSD from a baby being killed. The movie ends with a freakin football game.

Anyway, RIP Donald Sutherland.
DS was a much better Hawkeye than AA IMO

My favorite DS moment: playing a serial arsonist in "Backdraft" - chilling dialogue with DeNiro grilling him in front of the parole board. Lasted all of 10 minutes and was the best part of the film.

Back