Derby Day - Fierceness!

TX Redman

Good luck to Mike Repole today.

"The 5–2 morning-line favorite, Fierceness’s weapon is sheer speed. A slight, wiry colt, the Repole homebred doesn’t look like much until he’s in full flight. Fierceness has lost two of five lifetime races after poor starts, breaking poorly in the Champagne Stakes as a 2-year-old and being pinballed by other horses after the break in the Holy Bull Stakes. But when he breaks cleanly and avoids trouble, it’s over.

The most recent evidence of that was a 13½-length blowout in the Florida Derby. Fierceness got to the front, dictated terms and then drew off in a jaw-dropping performance.

“When he runs his race, he’s just faster than these horses,” Brown says of his top competition. “If he gets the position early in the race he likes, and he gets away from there cleanly and he takes to the Churchill track, he’s going to be tough to run down. He’s just running a bit faster than these horses. So I respect the horse a lot, and we’ll just see how it plays out into that first turn. I’d say that he’s a deserving favorite for sure.” " SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Ironically, my wife bet $5 to win on Sierra Leone. Best thing that could have happened, she actually enjoyed watching the Derby!!

Back