Conference Coaching Rankings

The refs reviewed the ball leaving the hand twenty five times but why no review of the play to get the ball to half court and call time out or did the clock start at the proper time when Marquette threw it into the center to start that last play.
They always seem to assume the clock is started and stopped at the right time. That is a bad assumption.

The refs reviewed the ball leaving the hand twenty five times but why no review of the play to get the ball to half court and call time out or did the clock start at the proper time when Marquette threw it into the center to start that last play.
They always seem to assume the clock is started and stopped at the right time. That is a bad assumption.
Perfect reason replay in general is ridiculous but especially regarding time on the clock, not managed (and obviously rightfully so) and then the whole flow of the game is disrupted at crunch time to take an hour to review nano seconds, HATE IT!!

Last night at the Garden my section ended up in the usual conversation about Shaka Smart, who is a polarizing figure when it comes to assessing his coaching. Setting aside the Marquette fans who think he's John Wooden, everyone else agreed that he is probably someplace between the 5th and 7th best coach in the Big East (Pitino, Hurley, McDermott, Matta, Miller were mostly consensus picks above him; most of the debate was if you put him above or below Ed Cooley).

This led to the observation that this is not so much knock on Smart as it is a statement about the level of coaching in the Big East. From there the question became: how do the other conferences stack up?

We all agreed that the ACC has no high-level coaches left outside of Bennett, and his Achilles heel (offense) is well known. But no other coach in that conference worries you from a tactical standpoint.

The Big 12 obviously has Self, Sampson, Drew, and then a lot of depth after that.

The SEC has Barnes, Pearl, Calipari and more.

The Big 10 has Izzo who may be past his prime. Matt Painter has managed to lose with some pretty good teams - I like him but can't defend the record. We won't mention Juwan Howard, I guess you could make an argument for Collins but he would be like the 9th best coach in the Big East.

So long story short: which conference do we think has the strongest group of coaches? I think my (very preliminary) take is:

Big East
Big 12
SEC
A10
Big 10
Mountain West
ACC

Thought it was an interesting topic to think about, especially this time of year.
Shaka is an absolute beast of a coach and he’s at the exact level he should be.

He had a tough time getting elite recruits to buy into his system at Texas like Stevie Mitchell and Kam Jones are doing.

Big East is #1 for coaching as it stands.

You never want to replace the legend. You want to replace the guy who replaces the legend
If you think Neptune has it bad wait til you see what happens to Kalen DeBoar in 2 years.

It’s a shame because the big east is better when Villanova is good. I hope they get back to winning games and we continue on with blowing them out twice a year 😝.

He had a tough time getting elite recruits to buy into his system at Texas like Stevie Mitchell and Kam Jones are doing.

5th and 7th? I can’t imagine there are 4 teams in the big east that wouldn’t trade their coach for him right now, no questions asked.

The Big East is the best league for coaching because of you look at our ‘no name coaches’ and I’m using that meaning the ones not making a lot of money, they are going to get some consideration for coach of the year. How can you look at how Sha did with the Hall and how English did with Providence without Hopkins and not think the future is in very good hands.

Shaka ends any debate by coming up with two or three wins in NCAA tournament, provided his star guard returns.

Last night at the Garden my section ended up in the usual conversation about Shaka Smart, who is a polarizing figure when it comes to assessing his coaching. Setting aside the Marquette fans who think he's John Wooden, everyone else agreed that he is probably someplace between the 5th and 7th best coach in the Big East (Pitino, Hurley, McDermott, Matta, Miller were mostly consensus picks above him; most of the debate was if you put him above or below Ed Cooley).

This led to the observation that this is not so much knock on Smart as it is a statement about the level of coaching in the Big East. From there the question became: how do the other conferences stack up?

We all agreed that the ACC has no high-level coaches left outside of Bennett, and his Achilles heel (offense) is well known. But no other coach in that conference worries you from a tactical standpoint.

The Big 12 obviously has Self, Sampson, Drew, and then a lot of depth after that.

The SEC has Barnes, Pearl, Calipari and more.

The Big 10 has Izzo who may be past his prime. Matt Painter has managed to lose with some pretty good teams - I like him but can't defend the record. We won't mention Juwan Howard, I guess you could make an argument for Collins but he would be like the 9th best coach in the Big East.

So long story short: which conference do we think has the strongest group of coaches? I think my (very preliminary) take is:

Big East
Big 12
SEC
A10
Big 10
Mountain West
ACC

Thought it was an interesting topic to think about, especially this time of year.
Wow we have much different conversations in 114

OLV72 " did I tell you guys how many arms and legs Peaches found when I was walking her in the park in Babylon ? " " how do you like my new Rolex she found on one "

Ralph " Soriano is going to make 1 of 2 I can feel it why can't we ever hit both "

mjmaherjr " I'll be right back I gotta get a beer before the halftime line starts "

Weathermannyc "Ralph can you please not jinx us again you are like lightning every time you make a prediction I feel like I have to run for cover "

Red Storm Rising " hey mike can you talk to the moderators and get the other Redstormrising " banned because even I get confused if a post from the previous day is him or me

Kranmars " guys I got a list of 10 posters us moderators have banned after sending us death threats here is the list if any come by at halftime for a pic with out 114 crew just call me lawmanfan in the picture "

Back