College Ranking System Called In To Question

2011 Villanova Law got in big trouble and censured for falsifying their data:

The law school at Villanova University has been censured for submitting falsified admissions data for several years to the American Bar Association, allegedly at the behest of former administrators.

The action comes months after Villanova first disclosed publicly that staff members inflated the school’s median grade-point averages and scores on the Law School Admissions Test. Both data sets often factor into law school rankings.

“I think this group of individuals, they were very careful to keep it secret, not to draw any sort of red flags,” law school Dean John Gotanda said Tuesday.

Villanova’s average LSAT scores were padded by two to three points between 2005 and 2009, Gotanda said. The median GPA was raised by up to 0.16 points.

People can knock the US News college rankings all they want but every college bound high schooler I have known is aware of the US news rankings and their decision of what college to attend is influenced by the rankings.

Credit whoever at US News & World Report, decades ago, who conceived the idea of profiling and ranking colleges which is seemingly the only thing that is keeping the one relevant weekly publication US News & World Report alive.

Twenty plus years ago I subscribed to the weekly US News & World Report. I do not even know if the weekly edition is still out in paper form. Without the college rankings US News would likely be out of business. For

Back