Coaching in the last 3 minutes?????

Why the heck were we not defending against the three on Cinci's last possession, or why not foul to put them at the line with our three point lead? Are these kids not listening or is Dunlap not communicating or ???????

Lots of mistakes at the end..... Thank G d Harrison is a player with Canolis.

Just a simple question, up by 3 why not foul? 

Too early. I think you've gotta get the clock to under 5 seconds before you do that.

I'd like to know who lost his man there. Clearly a blown assingment. 

Do we want to get into a free throw shooting contest with anyone?

End of discussion. :(

Wrong. Take away Nuri (consider in done) and SirDom and the balance of the roster averages over 74% from the line. Cincy averages 63% as a team (STJ 68% even with Nuri and SirDom, 72% with just SirDom). 

Too early. I think you've gotta get the clock to under 5 seconds before you do that.

We were still in our zone since God's Gift was late in getting to the shooter, obviously he wouldn't be guarding a guard in a man to man situation.

Wrong. Take away Nuri (consider in done) and SirDom and the balance of the roster averages over 74% from the line. Cincy averages 63% as a team (STJ 68% even with Nuri and SirDom, 72% with just SirDom). 

Agree"........ We should have fouled or at least defended against the three....... that was just horrible, to give up a wide open 3 in that spot.

As I posted in the game thread, Dunlap should not have called a timeout with 18 seconds to play. Why give them time to set up any play. This way they haphazardly take the ball out of bounds and probably race upcourt without anyone particular setting up to shoot. Bad call!  

Agree with you about the timeout at 18 secs
Also I still believe we should have fouled.....its always a great debate......even better when we won
DA and Moe are winners! Gutsy win by all

They did a break-down of the play on SNY after ru beat yukon. We got beat just before they brought the ball over half court, that forced Harkless to rotate out of the corner to cover then Gift was late rotating to the corner. It all started because Dom overplayed at the point on D.

Otoh, they played bad D on our last possesion because they went for the steal on the inbounds and allowed DLo to penetrate the base line for the open floater and Moe put-back. There was also some question as to why Cronin used a 4 guard team on the play. But I think he wanted better man coverage. It all broke down for them when DLo turned the corner for the pass.

Bottom line, both teams had defensive breakdowns on the last two plays so it's poetic justice.

As I posted in the game thread, Dunlap should not have called a timeout with 18 seconds to play. Why give them time to set up any play. This way they haphazardly take the ball out of bounds and probably race upcourt without anyone particular setting up to shoot. Bad call!  

So, if that to at 18 sec was boneheaded then the to with 3.5 sec was sheer genius.

Neither to mattered because both teams overplayed and gambled on d and that resulted in a wide open 3 for them and an uncontested tip in for us.  

Absolutely true. Dare I say, we are actually a good FT shooting team with Nuri gone. Pretty amazing from a group of newbies. I remember Lav saying he hoped to get his group of senior to that low 70's as a team.

Absolutely true. Dare I say, we are actually a good FT shooting team with Nuri gone. Pretty amazing from a group of newbies. I remember Lav saying he hoped to get his group of senior to that low 70's as a team.

Staff did a great job working on it last year and seems to be doing a bang-up job this year as well to get them shooting better at the line. I remember Pointer's form looking atrocious in HS, and it's looking a lot better now. Should only continue.

Agree"........ We should have fouled or at least defended against the three....... that was just horrible, to give up a wide open 3 in that spot.

Disagree. If this was going to be the last possession of the game, I'd agree with you. If you defend the three and give up an easy layup, now it's a 1 point lead with plenty of time for Cincy to steal and go ahead, or immediately foul and force us to make two. If we miss the front end or only make one, now they have the ball back with maybe 5 seconds and a chance to tie (or win if we miss the front end) on a field goal, or win with a three. With the time we had remaining on the clock, you play straight up defense. 

Disagree. If this was going to be the last possession of the game, I'd agree with you. If you defend the three and give up an easy layup, now it's a 1 point lead with plenty of time for Cincy to steal and go ahead, or immediately foul and force us to make two. If we miss the front end or only make one, now they have the ball back with maybe 5 seconds and a chance to tie on a field goal, or win with a three. With the time we had remaining on the clock, you play straight up defense.

Excellent analysis, Beast. Play staright up D and the worst case scenario is a tie. Foul and you stop the clock, lengthen the game, and give them an opportunity to win in regulation. While they did, in fact, tie thegame, it was the right decision.

I think the Johnnies have a play in their playbook called "the Dwight Hardy." It is modelled after the buzzer-beater against Pitt. It was called for Harrison at the end of the game. Fortunately, Moe was there for the follow.

Disagree. If this was going to be the last possession of the game, I'd agree with you. If you defend the three and give up an easy layup, now it's a 1 point lead with plenty of time for Cincy to steal and go ahead, or immediately foul and force us to make two. If we miss the front end or only make one, now they have the ball back with maybe 5 seconds and a chance to tie (or win if we miss the front end) on a field goal, or win with a three. With the time we had remaining on the clock, you play straight up defense. 

Totally agree with you Beast. This way we still had a chance to win on the last possession and if we didn't convert, OT. If it was about 5 seconds to go, different story. The problem was, it was a wide open three.

Totally agree with you Beast. This way we still had a chance to win on the last possession and if we didn't convert, OT. If it was about 5 seconds to go, different story. The problem was, it was a wide open three.

Wide open three's have been the problem all year, no?

Back