CAN WE GET SOME STICKUM....

for God's Gift's hands?

What is the deal with his apparent inability to hold onto the ball? It reminds me a little bit of Zendon Hamilton who alawys seemed to lose the handle. Hope the coaches are working on addressing this because it appears not only to be frustrating to G but to his teammates as well.

I'm just confused when it comes to GG...he seems to be regressing or perhaps it's just that competition is getting better...His hands looked real soft, however those were early games against the likes of cw post...we need a couple of more bigs so that we dont count on him for too much, I think he is a decent player, however not a star or go to guy...I like him, like his work ethic, just dont like that he cant hold on to the ball or even dunk a ball or hit a layup with hands around him

He's only played ball for like 3-4 yrs. I think sometimes people need to realize that.

fair comment. I definitely am a fan of G and hope he can correct it.

He's only here for two years but I think he will definitely improve. Having help down low would help. Notice on some free throws he turned to face Duke and block out in other words sacrificing rebound just to box out Duke big man. That any playing too man minutes is showing flaws.

Same for Harrison as was mentioned by Vitale. Shot selection will improve as more capable bodies are there.

He's only played ball for like 3-4 yrs. I think sometimes people need to realize that.

Yeh, but right now he is our only center. Please do not pass to him on the end of a fast break, he has trouble holding on to passes. In addition, once he puts the ball on the floor he loses it. Couldn't believe how deep he allowed Plumlee to receive his passes. Where was his rebounding? How about boxing out someone instead of standing and watching. Right now he looks like a Juco recruit.

A great coach use to say be quick but don't hurry Gift problem is he hurring he is shooting or attempting to pass before he has control of the ball. Adjustment from JC ball to D1 ball.

Yeh, but right now he is our only center. Please do not pass to him on the end of a fast break, he has trouble holding on to passes. In addition, once he puts the ball on the floor he loses it. Couldn't believe how deep he allowed Plumlee to receive his passes. Where was his rebounding? How about boxing out someone instead of standing and watching. Right now he looks like a Juco recruit.

I suggest you watch the game again. He was boxing out but he does not jump well and him boxing out clears path for Moe and our guards to board. We were only out-rebounded by 5. Check the box score.

Also your assertion about him on the break is wrong. In the halfcourt he struggles receiving passes. On the break he is at his strongest.

He is out only 4/5. Moe is a 3 and really damn good one. He is outmanned and playing more minutes than he should be.

I suggest you watch the game again. He was boxing out but he does not jump well and him boxing out clears path for Moe and our guards to board. We were only out-rebounded by 5. Check the box score.

Also your assertion about him on the break is wrong. In the halfcourt he struggles receiving passes. On the break he is at his strongest.

He is out only 4/5. Moe is a 3 and really damn good one. He is outmanned and playing more minutes than he should be.

Don't need to watch the game again. So G.G. boxing out really stopped Plumlee and his 17 rebounds, plus his easy layups in the first half. Did you miss that part of the game?
I'd love to check the boxscore, unfortunately we don't have it restored as of yet.

Thanks for your defense of GG. I like him - A LOT. Heart of a lion. I disagree about him not jumping well - I would like to know what his vertical is. Soft hands are a gift, but right now maybe not God's gift to God's Gift. The Giants had a GREAT third baseman a few years back, Matt Williams I think was his name. He had the softest hands, and he attributed it to practicing with a wooden paddle ball racket instead of a glove. Maybe there are some drills that the staff can help GG with. A lot of it has to do with making sure you catch the ball before worrying what you are going to do with it.

Thanks for pointing out also that this guy has only been playing a few years. Before his career is all over, we will be very happy he chose SJU, and will be one of our most well liked players. 

Don't need to watch the game again. So G.G. boxing out really stopped Plumlee and his 17 rebounds, plus his easy layups in the first half. Did you miss that part of the game?
I'd love to check the boxscore, unfortunately we don't have it restored as of yet.

ESPN.com has box scores.
Again we got out rebounded to big bad Duke by 5. Pretty damn remarkable.

ESPN.com has box scores.
Again we got out rebounded to big bad Duke by 5. Pretty damn remarkable.

We rebounded harder in the second half because we played all-out instead of worrying about fouls. We played rwl tentative the first to try to limit our fouls which didn't work. Second half we turned it on and were the better team. If refs didn't fuk us in the first half, it might have been a win.

Back