Can The Empire State Building Just Stop It

kranmars

Staff member
While I have an admitted dislike for Rutgers, this is the second time they have lit the iconic New York City tower red for the State University of New Jersey. Can they just put that idea to rest forever now. Rutgers football barely registers in the City.

I am however all in favor of the NYC skyline in red one day as NYC's true college basketball reaches the Final Four.

is there a website or somewhere that they post what the meaning of the empire state colors are for each specific night?

I saw it red the night of the blackout game and I thought St. Johns not Rutgers.

Then again every time I see it red or red and white during the basketball season I think and I tell people its for St. John's. I think we should just continue to tell people and assume its for St. Johns, why not?

I have always hated NJ teams that think they are NY. I know you will say what about the Jets/Giants? Well, the Jets originated in Queens playing in Shea and their training camp was on LI for a long time. Their roots are there. The Giants played at the Polo Grounds if I'm not mistaken. They also have training camp in Albany I believe. Rutgers has no true NY connection other than just having students who happen to be from NY. New Jersey and New York are 2 completely different states with different cultures. The ESB should focus on New York, not NJ.

Yeah it is a joke. I mean really, Rutgers plays football? OK maybe I am being harsh but they ARE not a NY team. They are from Piscataway New Jersey. A New Jersey team. In fact, my guess is there are more Notre Dame college football fans in NY than Rutgers fans. Maybe the Empire State Building should put the color of that up.

Yeah it is a joke. I mean really, Rutgers plays football? OK maybe I am being harsh but they ARE not a NY team. They are from Piscataway New Jersey. A New Jersey team. In fact, my guess is there are more Notre Dame college football fans in NY than Rutgers fans. Maybe the Empire State Building should put the color of that up.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when everything New York is assumed to be partially owned by NJ too. No. We are 2 different states. I have met plenty of NJ people and the first thing they tell me is how close to NYC they are. That's what they measure their coolness factor by...how close to Manhattan they live. It's like their litmus test of relevance. I don't care where in NJ it is though...even Hoboken. NJ is not the same state as NY. Tired of NJ trying to ride on the coattails of big brother NY. Get your own culture and prestige going.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when everything New York is assumed to be partially owned by NJ too. No. We are 2 different states. I have met plenty of NJ people and the first thing they tell me is how close to NYC they are. That's what they measure their coolness factor by...how close to Manhattan they live. It's like their litmus test of relevance. I don't care where in NJ it is though...even Hoboken. NJ is not the same state as NY. Tired of NJ trying to ride on the coattails of big brother NY. Get your own culture and prestige going.

I live in NJ and had nothing to do with the ESB putting Rutgers colors on it. I was rooting for Rutgers last night when the Johnnies game was over, but don't care if the RU colors are on the building. No need to project your thoughts onto the rest of us.

I'm with the poster who said we should call it St. John's whenever it's red.

I live in NJ and had nothing to do with the ESB putting Rutgers colors on it. I was rooting for Rutgers last night when the Johnnies game was over, but don't care if the RU colors are on the building. No need to project your thoughts onto the rest of us.

I'm with the poster who said we should call it St. John's whenever it's red.

That wasn't a shot at NJ folks...I'm friends with many. Just telling what I've observed and why the whole thing is a pet peeve. I think NJ citizens should be more proud of their own state instead of trying to share New York.

screw Jersey & that fat governor Christy that eats the whole Dennys menu!

screw the Sopranos especially Tony the jets offensive coach whos plays r Offensive

screw the Jersey Shore guidos & guidettes too with their new laguage called tanned mumble jumble

screw the NJ toll entrance to the GW bridge always backed up like Governor Christys toilet

screw metlife std for ripping off 2 fan bases for psls

Rutgers sucks thats why Schiano left

Back