Big East Endowments

fordham96

Pretty interesting, SJU is 3rd largest on the list. Fordham has an endowment of about $1.1 Billion which would put it right around Nova's if it were in the BE. Georgetown by far has the largest.

1678913821961.jpeg

Low endowment numbers certainly haven't hurt Xavier & Providence's success on the hardwood.

Can someone explain these numbers. In terms of, why would schools sit on this much money instead of deploying it to further make improvements to the school?

But the resources available might be one of the reason Cooley might be considering the move to Gtown.
Yes.

That is why despite their recent lack of success they are still a coveted job.

Keep in mind Ewing was making $4 million + in addition had an enormous buyout. And word is they're ready to pay Cooley in the neighborhood of $5 million as well pay PC whatever buyout they owe them.

You better have access to big funds to do that.

My larger point was just to point out that SJU is not a Little Sister of the Poor when it compares to other BE schools.

Of course none of them compares to Harvard's famous FIFTY THREE BILLION dollar endowment.

Can someone explain these numbers. In terms of, why would schools sit on this much money instead of deploying it to further make improvements to the school?
Endowments at Universities are for the most part principal that cannot be spent outside of a specific purpose. Some endowment money may be for general needs of the school and some for example to fund scholarships. Endowment rules usually limit the amount to be spent in any given year to be less then 5 percent of the Endowment. So if St. John's has an Endowment of approximately 1 billion dollars then they likely can't spend more then 50 million dollars and much of that may be restricted. The goal is for the endowment to grow in value over time and provide a larger return.

So Xavier with an endowment of a third to a fourth of ours can have the Cintas Center but we can't figure out how to build a decent facility and are forever stuck with CA built in 1962.

If only a percentage of the endowments can be spent on their targets per year, does coaches salaries and expenses (i.e. recruiting budget) come only from a general fund?

I guess that point is moot if there are donations made directly towards the basketball program, which may be semantics because that donation may qualify as a targeted endowment.

I am rambling. Whatever.

Make Pitino happen.

Sorry but if these endowments are so crucial to basketball success why has Xavier danced 8 of the last 13 years (missing only when they had a bad coach) and 3 of the top 4 endowment programs SJU, Gtown & Depaul been perennial doormats the past 10 years or so? Just give me a good coach, the rest seems kind of irrelevant based on results.

Endowments can be restricted or unrestricted. I don't know what the division is at SJU. And I don't pretend to know how the money can be used and for what purposes but athletics may or not be up there in priority. (I used to invest in municipal bonds for clients in my working days and endowments are one of the factors we used in analyzing colleges. Well, that and also the rating agencies... :) )

If someone wanted to pay for a new CA it would be a specific donation and not part of the schools endowment.

Back