Anybody have a MacBook Air?

MainMan

2023 $upporter
Never owned a Mac, but I've been really impressed with the iPhone. Thinking about taking the plunge and getting the ultra-portable MacBook Air.

Anybody have one? What do you think of it?

Just got one for my middle school child. She loves it. Lots of advantages over pcs. We own both at our house and prefer the Mac book air. Good luck.

Never owned a Mac, but I've been really impressed with the iPhone. Thinking about taking the plunge and getting the ultra-portable MacBook Air.

Same boat. I have an iPad and iPhone. Was told Air is too close to iPad so if anything I should go Macbook Pro. Would love some Apple experts to chime in.

My girlfriend got me a macbook pro 2 years ago. My first apple. Much better than my dell laptop.

Moose any questions about apple just ask Nathalie at the next game she comes to. She's an apple addict ( although she doesn't have the iPad but just got the new iPhone). But she also takes a bunch of the classes at the mac store and does those one on one sessions at the store to learn more stuff. 

Same boat. I have an iPad and iPhone. Was told Air is too close to iPad so if anything I should go Macbook Pro. Would love some Apple experts to chime in.

Hey Moose,

I worship at the altar of Apple and will gladly swear by any of their products. I'm in a hotel room right now, travelling with my iPhone, iPad and Air – having left the MacBook Pro on my desk at the office.

As much as they can be interchangeable, each piece has its own place in my universe. You already know the benefits of the iPhone and iPad, so I won't start preaching about their benefits.

The Pro is my workhorse – fully equipped, fully functional, high-power computer. The larger screen, built in DVD drive, larger memory, faster processor make it option No. 1 if all my devices are at my fingertips.

The Air has become my go-to portable device. Funny how our perspective changes – carrying around the Pro feels like lugging around a desktop computer now. I figured the Air would be redundant with the iPad, but not the case. It's roughly the same size as the iPad but offers the full computer experience.

My iPad is now the "novelty" device – good for books, movies, music, surfing, but if I want to do any real work I'll take the Air with me.

Yo MM,

See previous post and you'll know I'm a big fan of Apple products. The big question is how you intend to use it. If you live in a corporate world and spent 90 percent of your day in Microsoft Excel, stick with the PC. If its for general use, the Mac will open up a new world for you. (Compatability between Mac/PC is actually pretty good now, so the problems when trading files across systems are pretty minimal)

I've talked to long-time PC users who found the change in operating systems a little confusing, but if you shed your old PC habits I think you'll find the Mac to be much more user-friendly.

But, to quote the IT guy in our office, Apple likes you to totally "give in" to their world. If you're marrying an iPhone with an iPad with an Air and using their Cloud service, it's amazingly slick. If you're hoping to introduce non-Apple products to the mix, it's do-able but a little trickier.

the only thing about the mac book is that it doesn't have a disc drive but many people don't play their movies and music on a disc anymore. it really depends how you use it. it is great for music and graphics. but if you use it for a work setting then use a pc laptop.  Plus apple products are much more expensive then the average computer. i don't know how much money plays in your decision.

For me personally, a great advantage of an Apple computer purchase is the availability of their One to One program. For $100, you get access to their expert trainers who will help you learn to more fully exploit the potential of your computer. I go an average of once-a-week to these sessions. You can then renew your membership for two additional years. If you are near an Apple Store and have the time to go there, it's an invaluable advantage versus a PC.

I would get the Mac Book Pro.

Thanks for all the info guys.

This would be actually be a Christmas gift for my wife who travels on business more than I do, although I'll be using it frequently.

It came down to iPad vs Pro vs. Air.

iPad - my wife is intrigued, but needs more of a real computer with a keyboard to take notes, word processing, etc.

Pro - the base models have a lot more cpu speed and storage than the Air, but my wife won't be using it for huge databses, spreadsheets or gaming (although her husband will be playing many an NBA Jam game on the virtual super nintendo entertainment system http://www.virtualsupernes.com/list/index.html "He's on FIRE!")

Air - Just seemed like the perfect compromise between an iPad and Pro. Plus my wife hates lugging around our current Toshiba laptop. I do too. The Air seems like a paper plate compared to it.

Am I way off in my assessment Apple devotees? 
Does the Air have enough speed and storage to handle Internet, word processing, video, photo, etc?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Does the Air have enough speed and storage to handle Internet, word processing, video, photo, etc?

More than enough for the average user. The Pro is great when you need high-torque programs, but for surfing, word processing and media storage/sharing, the Air is a killer.

As for the disk drive issue, if you need to use removable media you can pick up an external drive that plugs into one of your ports when needed.

... and I own a bunch of Apple stock which I bought a couple of years ago when it was about $86 a share. I thank you all! :lol:  

Back