Any of you ever have Father Rivard for Theology ?

SJU87

He was the most irratating teacher I had at SJU. The way he spoke to students, he was very demanding and very critical. I saw him on the sidelines at SJU basketball games, what did he do ?

I graduated in 1986 & Father Sharkey was the best theology teacher I ever had.

Second to Father Sharkey would be Father Iggy Cantanello{today is a bishop} who taught a great marriage & family course in theology.

Anybody have Dr. Richard Stalter for Botany/ecology or his best summer course Beach ecology? B)

Fr. Rivard was the Vincentian presence in the ath. dept for a long time . Had him for the marriage course . 

Die Hard,

Doc Stalter still teaching up at SJU, a great man, and I am honored to be his friend. Doc was also the SJU rugby coach in the 1980's.

He keeps up with many alumni, and alums often drop by campus to pay a visit.

Die Hard,

Doc Stalter still teaching up at SJU, a great man, and I am honored to be his friend. Doc was also the SJU rugby coach in the 1980's.

He keeps up with many alumni, and alums often drop by campus to pay a visit.

Wow He's still there teaching!, is He still climbing the sju parking lot fence to get his car after
sucking down some brewskies??? :woohoo:
Gantrys was his regular friday happy hr hangout w/ us during the 80s
thanks for update!

I had Stalter last semester. Really nice guy and the easiest professor I've ever had. His tests were 50 True/False questions where every single answer was true. By the third test I didn't even look at the questions and just filled in A on the scantron for all 50 questions. He also wore a raggy t-shirt and the shortest shorts I've ever seen every day, including in the middle of the winter. He is a character.

I had Stalter last semester. Really nice guy and the easiest professor I've ever had. His tests were 50 True/False questions where every single answer was true. By the third test I didn't even look at the questions and just filled in A on the scantron for all 50 questions. He also wore a raggy t-shirt and the shortest shorts I've ever seen every day, including in the middle of the winter. He is a character.

still wearing short shorts fr. 80s :eek:hmy:
Doc is truly a Johnny legend he boycotted JPOD's 4ever bec. His exgirlfriend left him for the owner Paul O'D.
The Man could tell some great stories God Bless him just buy him a few beers & hes charged for the nite.

still wearing short shorts fr. 80s :eek:hmy:
Doc is truly a Johnny legend he boycotted JPOD's 4ever bec. His exgirlfriend left him for the owner Paul O'D.
The Man could tell some great stories God Bless him just buy him a few beers & hes charged for the nite. 

I had Fr. Rivard in 1982 for a course on Vatican 2. I still remmember him telling the class (a large lecture class of 100 or so) that he doesn't want anyone coming to him "crying in my beer" if they failed the final...

He was an old school kind of guy.

My Theology teachers were the worst teachers I had at St. John's. Infact, one of them, Father Rebholz, was miserable. Could not believe his tests, asked questions on footnotes in our text. That's right, there was a question regarding an amoeba. Think he was out to trick us. Heck, we didn't even get credit for our Theology courses and they busted our b.... 

my wife did and it was her only C. He also married us the day before SJU beat the Russian National team in '77

Does anyone remember Fr. Fritzie Wieland? He used to get up on his desk and portray God then get down and talk up to him and continued a conversation that way getting up and down. Really amazing as I think back.
They don't make 'em like that any more.

Back