Amir Garrett - 1 and done?

will3535

With Amir Garrett signing a contract to play with the Reds does anyone think that he'll stick around for his sophomore year? I mean he was a top baseball/basketball recruit coming out of High School and probably will be a difference maker this season. I wonder if SJU could convince him to play baseball at SJU, their program is pretty solid. I know the seasons overlap but Donovan McNabb played basketball at SU so I could see Garrett playing both sports if he wants to stay at SJU to stick with this amazing class of players.

this is the link to the article if nobody has seen it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-17/st-john-s-basketball-player-garrett-signs-1-million-baseball-contract.html

He signed a contract with the Reds he can't play college baseball anymore.

With Amir Garrett signing a contract to play with the Reds does anyone think that he'll stick around for his sophomore year? I mean he was a top baseball/basketball recruit coming out of High School and probably will be a difference maker this season. I wonder if SJU could convince him to play baseball at SJU, their program is pretty solid. I know the seasons overlap but Donovan McNabb played basketball at SU so I could see Garrett playing both sports if he wants to stay at SJU to stick with this amazing class of players.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-17/st-john-s-basketball-player-garrett-signs-1-million-baseball-contract.html

He signed a contract with the Reds he can't play college baseball anymore.

And the contract he signed has a $1,000,000 signing bonus - but it's paid over 5 years while he attends college...

No need to worry about Garrett. The Reds took advantage of his dual-sport status to handle his bonus. He can play minor league baseball in the off-season. The only way he doesn't return to SJU is if he's a fast riser in their organization and that likely won't happen.

It will be at least after his junior year before he would have to make a choice on one sport or another. 

This isn't a big issue right now. No way will he be "one & done". Like another poster said, its possible after his junior season that he leaves for baseball if he is moving up the ranks. Until then, it wont be a factor.

A lot of football players play both Minor league baseball and NCAA Football and they dont make a big decision until after jr year at earliest.

I dont think Findley prep even had a baseball team so it would seem like he wouldn't be moving up the ranks that fast

With the depth that we have and the way recruiting is going as much as I like Amir him leaving whenever will make very little difference with our program-unless of course Norm comes back as our HC. :)  

Back