Alumnus Spent Over 60 Years Devoted to St. John's

Wonderful article for a wonderful man. My life changed when he got involved with helping me get some aid to get into St. John's. My father was a Venerable in (at the time) the Sons of Italy, on Long Island, in Syosset.

My Dad knew I desperately wanted to attend St. John’s, but the tuition was a littlelsteep for my family. I looked at some city options, but my Dad came home from a Sons of Italy meeting one night, telling me he had set up a meeting with the Financial Aid Advisor (Joe Sciame) at St. John’s. He told me Joe was in the Sons of Italy as well.

A week or so later, I had the meeting. He was a real gentleman. Asked some basic questions, and said he would see what he could do. About a month later, we get a letter (pretty sure I still have it) from the Financial Aid Office outlining what they could do to help our family out. Needless to say, it made all the difference in the world.

I had to meet with him yearly so he could check in on me. Helped me to be the first college graduate on either side of my family. Just a great man. Had no idea he was still working all this time and had just retired.

Back