Alternative Approach

logen

2023 $upporter
A good buddy of mine, a retired NJ HS HOF coach and I were talking a week or two ago and he offered this scenario, namely that some programs would abandon the portal “new team” every year approach and decide to develop players over the four years and use their NIL $ towards keeping those players.
I have NO idea of that is entering into Pitino’s thinking but I have said this from Day One, Pitino HAS NOT developed and sent a boatload of players to the NBA, one of the biggest fallacies still being sold on this board. He has developed outstanding college players and teams, that is his strength. But if the aforementioned approach is one he adopted, count me in 100%.
I don’t think last years model lent itself to Pitino’s strength and IMO, it showed. Who did he know? Jenkins. Who did he lean on? Jenkins. What other player had a stable role? None. Other players kept getting minutes but defined roles?
Prime example maybe was Soriano. After games I would read criticisms here of the guards not feeding him on the post, go back and re-watch SJU on offense and shake my head because Soriano was at the high post 80% of the time he was in the game.
Anyway, just FWIW different approach thought

A good buddy of mine, a retired NJ HS HOF coach and I were talking a week or two ago and he offered this scenario, namely that some programs would abandon the portal “new team” every year approach and decide to develop players over the four years and use their NIL $ towards keeping those players.
I have NO idea of that is entering into Pitino’s thinking but I have said this from Day One, Pitino HAS NOT developed and sent a boatload of players to the NBA, one of the biggest fallacies still being sold on this board. He has developed outstanding college players and teams, that is his strength. But if the aforementioned approach is one he adopted, count me in 100%.
I don’t think last years model lent itself to Pitino’s strength and IMO, it showed. Who did he know? Jenkins. Who did he lean on? Jenkins. What other player had a stable role? None. Other players kept getting minutes but defined roles?
Prime example maybe was Soriano. After games I would read criticisms here of the guards not feeding him on the post, go back and re-watch SJU on offense and shake my head because Soriano was at the high post 80% of the time he was in the game.
While this is a great idea, the only way it will work is if there is a salary cap and players have to sign for a number of years. I believe that Tyler Kolek's whole class eventually left George Mason for high major schools. Imagine if they could have stayed together.

While this is a great idea, the only way it will work is if there is a salary cap and players have to sign for a number of years. I believe that Tyler Kolek's whole class eventually left George Mason for high major schools. Imagine if they could have stayed together.
Don’t disagree but an alternative argument is that there are families, parents who do not want there sons and daughters to become basketball “nomads” while still in their teens. Wilcher and Dunlap MAY be examples of that, I don’t know.
Anyway, your point is a good one but I just have no idea how you police a salary cap, it would foster legit $ + “bag of money” system.
We brings us no closer to anything resembling sanity.

Pitino due to a late start and all that, seemed to bring in mis-matched players, IMO.

Given time I trust Pitino's process, like 76er fans had to "trust the process".

it's a miracle he kept RJ,Sim, Zuby and Brady. That's as close as we are gonna get to that approach at least for now

The mid-major program is literally on life support at this point. Any run a George Mason has at this point would require a coming together of the stars type season. For some of these players the only chance to a) make money playing basketball or b) play professionally overseas is getting a NIL deal from a big school. If I’m averaging 15 pts and 7 boards a game for a George Mason-type that made it to the Sweet 16, I’m most definitely trying to make a buck the next season. That’s the way it’s drawn up at this moment.

The way it plays out now, any grown adult taking a shot at some 20 or 21 year old kid trying to build a nest egg for themselves is just missing the big picture or hating on the kid for no reason. I don’t blame a guy for trying to make money.

Signed, a 47-year-old trying to make money

The mid-major program is literally on life support at this point. Any run a George Mason has at this point would require a coming together of the stars type season. For some of these players the only chance to a) make money playing basketball or b) play professionally overseas is getting a NIL deal from a big school. If I’m averaging 15 pts and 7 boards a game for a George Mason-type that made it to the Sweet 16, I’m most definitely trying to make a buck the next season. That’s the way it’s drawn up at this moment.

The way it plays out now, any grown adult taking a shot at some 20 or 21 year old kid trying to build a nest egg for themselves is just missing the big picture or hating on the kid for no reason. I don’t blame a guy for trying to make money.

Signed, a 47-year-old trying to make money
If I were rich enough to pay 26 players, AND pay them again to keep their mouths shut, AND pay a coach and his staff, I'm a St. John's diehard who would attempt to set up Speedy and Hofstra as a feeder program. Major programs keep raiding him and he keeps chugging along. Both St. John's and Hofstra may as well benefit from it.

Farm system is a crazy idea I know, but imagine if Pang ended up at Hofstra because the market for high schoolers is dead, and then he proceeded to average 17 as a freshman?

I'll circle back when Maher turns my $9.1 million into $9.1 billion.

If I were rich enough to pay 26 players, AND pay them again to keep their mouths shut, AND pay a coach and his staff, I'm a St. John's diehard who would attempt to set up Speedy and Hofstra as a feeder program. Major programs keep raiding him and he keeps chugging along. Both St. John's and Hofstra may as well benefit from it.

Farm system is a crazy idea I know, but imagine if Pang ended up at Hofstra because the market for high schoolers is dead, and then he proceeded to average 17 as a freshman?

I'll circle back when Maher turns my $9.1 million into $9.1 billion.
I would love to see Claxton as our next coach so let’s start there 😉.

I just saw on Twitter an actual idea that wouldn't be horrible:

I was toying with idea that every player stolen from a mid-major by a power 5 should count as 1.5 scholarships to cut down on the raiding, but that just may spread the stealing among more schools instead of one loading up.

This is already part of the process. Nobody wants to lose their good players. Wisconsin didn’t want to be outbid for their leading scorer and have its best player, Chucky Hepburn, hit the portal.

We will have to give considerable raises to Zuby, Dunlap, and Wilcher next year to retain them.

The defensive part of this might now include limiting a kid’s minutes to deflate his stats similar to how MLB manipulates service time to keep control over prospects.

Prior to the NILs and transfer portal I think most fans especially the old guard felt there was a certain amount of school loyalty among college basketball players. We are finding out there is very little loyalty if any.
That lack of loyalty may reverse itself if the players become employees of the university rather than student athletes. Student athlete , although a sham gave the appearance of the ball player being part of the university.
How many casual college basketball fans will completely lose interest in the sport if the players become employees. Somebody in the college basketball world better take command and come up with some set of rules before the sport sinks.

This is already part of the process. Nobody wants to lose their good players. Wisconsin didn’t want to be outbid for their leading scorer and have its best player, Chucky Hepburn, hit the portal.

We will have to give considerable raises to Zuby, Dunlap, and Wilcher next year to retain them.

The defensive part of this might now include limiting a kid’s minutes to deflate his stats similar to how MLB manipulates service time to keep control over prospects.
But deflating minutes really won’t work because the next year the kid is free agent irs not like we are gaining control a year

It’s the Wild West. Only way to slow it is multi year NiL deals

Would be interesting to know the breakout of the ~ 1,700 in portal as primary reason

- # seeking bigger $
- # seeking more playing time
- # moving up due to strong performance
- # forced out by existing coach
- # forced out due to coaching change
- # need legit change (bad fit w/ coach, school overall, location etc)
Etc.

Point is only a small % will get substantial paydays. Some in portal may not get much or even picked up by another school. Only a handful of conferences are working with big $. Even within that, how much is the 10-13thr guy on roster really getting.

Back