A Modest Proposal

I think will do away with seeding based on conference finish (regular or tournament). Bids only go to teams that have a certain weighted average, based on their performance in scheduled games. Seems like close loses to teams that are strong can and should mean more than several wins versus weak opponents. This way you can follow your team's chances throughout the season.

You brew your own beer? I hope you pay yourself fair wages, and do not try to dissuade union membership by identifying your brewery a right to brew basement. 😁
I have thus far paid myself in ale and porter. Next up will be a stout or perhaps a lager. Might try to create a strawberry ale for the summer like the one Abita makes, which is a good companion for running the smoker. And we are now well off-topic...

Last edited:
I have thus fair paid myself in ale and porter. Next up will be a stout or perhaps a lager. Might try to create a strawberry ale for the summer like the one Abita makes, which is a good companion for running the smoker. And we are now well off-topic...
Not necessarily. Your brewery is more of a modest proposal than your tournament reconstruction plan.

Let me preface this by saying this: I would prefer not to see any changes at all to the NCAA Tournament; I think it's perfect just the way it is. In fact, if I had a choice I would eliminate the play-in games and go back to a straight field of 64.

However, since (a) that is not going to happen; and (b) jackasses like SEC Commissioner Sankey have the genius idea of expanding the tournament with the goal of minimizing the participation of the non-Power 5 schools, I have the following alternative suggestion.

1. Expand the field from 64 to 80.
2. That's an additional 16 teams (the current First Four plus 12 more).
3. RETAIN automatic qualifiers for conference winners.
4. EXEMPT the AQs from Week 1 games (more about that below)
5. Create four brackets of 15 teams each; leave the 11 seeds open.
6. Push the start of those games back a week, to the second Thursday after Selection Sunday.
7. The First 16 play on the first Thursday/Friday and Saturday/Sunday after Selection Sunday.
8. The four survivors get plugged into the brackets as the 11 seeds.

This expands the size of the tournament in a roughly proportionate manner to the number of teams playing D1 basketball now as opposed to what it was when the tournament was last expanded to 64. It preserves the essential character of the tournament with the Cinderellas still having a ticket to the main ball. It allows the borderline Power 5, and Big East, and other schools (like a 4th team from the A10, etc) a chance to play their way in. It adds a week to the tournament which means more ads and more TV dollars. It allows schools that had injuries in the conference tournament a week to heal up. The only downside is the 60 teams that get a bye to the main tournament have 11 or 12 days off, but it isn't a perfect world.

I might point out that given the performance of his league in this year's tournament - or I should say the near-total lack of performance of his league in this year's tournament - Sankey can take his opinion that mediocre major-conference schools are superior to AQs from non-P5 conferences and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Anyway, just a thought on how to expand the tournament to generate more participation and more money without doing violence to the things that make the tournament great.
Beast hacked LMF

Back